• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notice of layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eugeneqmil

c/::C/

A new restaurant moved into Oklahoma from albuquerque, I was hired as a Manager and promised verbally that should the location fail, I would be guaranteed work at another out of state location, I would not be left behind. 1 year after opening I went into work to do inventories and was told the business wasn't making money and we were closing IMMEDIATELY, I had about 1 hours notice, was given a weeks severance, and then told I could recieve a transfer to a new location Colorado, 2 days later I was informed the positions were filled and no openings currently available. Basically I was left out in the cold, Our operation is an at will employer, however, In the fast pace of opening the new location, I do not ever remember signing this agreement, (However, it is possible that I did sign one.) Also, managers are considered "permanent employees" Does this along with virtually no notice of closing, and a false promise of future employment stability (i.e. no transfer as I was verbally guaranteed) Have any bearing on possible compensation or legal recourse? Thank you for your time
Steven E. Branham

L

loku

Oral promise

A verbal contract is valid. However, there is a general rule that contracts that can not be performed in less than a year must be in writing. Even though your contract did last over one year, it could have lasted less; therefore the oral promise is a binding obligation.

The problem will be in trying to prove the promise was made. If you can do that, you have legal recourse for your loss due to their breach of contract.

The status of “permanent employee” has not meaning in this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">