• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident and medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

I'm asking this for my little brother. This is his first accident and he don't know what to do. A car rear ended him and his insurance decided to total his car and pay him the amount of what the car is worth. Now, the other insurance refuse to pay for his medical bill because they said the place he went to over charge too much compare to any other place. They said they will pay some amount of it and he will have to cover the rest. Does anyone have any advice on what he should do? Thank you.

justalayman

talk to his own insurance company first. If he has PIP that would apply, they may pay the bills and subrogate the claim against the other party just as they have with the car damage.

If that isn't available, his insurance company may assist in the situation still.

If they don't, he will be relegated to suing the driver that caused the damages.

KatB

His insurance company told him that he have to settle this by himself. He asked me for advice and I have not gone through this before so I don't know either. Should he go see an attorney? Or just go and sue the other party?

justalayman

how much money are you talking about? and what is the difference between what they are willing to pay and what the actual bills are?

Goddard

Claim for Relief

I am asking for a friend of mine that is really worried about what to do. He told me he is dirt poor and has had some bad luck in the past, but he is trying to clean up his record at least so he doesn't have to watch his back all the time.

He was in an accident apparently uninsured. I know incredibly stupid. Apparently the insurance company totaled the car and requested he pay all damages. At the time my friend was already in the process of filling for bankruptcy, but was trying to save enough money just for that.

Now he got court papers stating he needs to come to court for a complaint because of a claim of relief?

He is really worried he is going to jail or something because he couldn't pay. Well any way what does all this mean? Will he still be able to file bankruptcy?

OP, sounds like the person who hit your brother had their insurance policy medical payments limited to $3,000, which is why they are only willing to pay that amount. That doesn't mean your brother has to settle with that amount. He should talk to an attorney to get the rest of his medical bills covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">