• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are the rights of a car buyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgaitan_916

California
Upon purchase of a commercial van, non-operational, for a total cost of 1300, vehicle was never registered under my name. I paid a CA registration cost of 300. The reg. process was never completed due a major exhaust failure cost amounting to over 1500. Therefore the titled was never transfered. However, I sold the van to a third party for 1000 at a loss who was to take care of the registration from the initial seller. After investing over 1000 in repairs, unfortantly, vehicle received a parking violation while in the third party's hand. The original seller received the bill amounting to 50. Now the original seller wants to repossess van from third party and refund my original 1300. Can the original seller do that and if so what are both buyers rights?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California
Upon purchase of a commercial van, non-operational, for a total cost of 1300, vehicle was never registered under my name. I paid a CA registration cost of 300. The reg. process was never completed due a major exhaust failure cost amounting to over 1500. Therefore the titled was never transfered. However, I sold the van to a third party for 1000 at a loss who was to take care of the registration from the initial seller. After investing over 1000 in repairs, unfortantly, vehicle received a parking violation while in the third party's hand. The original seller received the bill amounting to 50. Now the original seller wants to repossess van from third party and refund my original 1300. Can the original seller do that and if so what are both buyers rights?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No, he can't legally "take back" the van. However, he can hold YOU responsible for for the parking ticket based on your failure to transfer the title and properly register the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">