• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

laid off/ put down as terminated/refuses to allow new application

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rebecca Alvarez

my husband and i live in burbank, california. my husband has been working at warner bros. studios. last june he was hired as a floater. this february he was put in a permanent position as a custodian local union #1877. on monday april 16, 2001 when he reported for work he was informed that the company was downsizing his department and that he as well as three other employees were being let go. he was given his last weeks pay, vacation pay he had accrued as well as one weeks pay in lieu of notice. he was told he could re-apply to be a floater or another department. when he called in to get an application he was told that because he had been terminated that they would never re-hire him. he did nothing wrong, never even was written up or disciplened in any way. he contacted his union rep, but we have heard nothing from him. can the discrimate against him this way?

B

buddy2bear

Contact your union representative again and file a formal written grievance. There are time limits here. If your union representative does not take the grievance through the "Steps," then call your Regional Office of the National Labor Relations Board and file a charge against your union. Don't wait too long. If you have a copy of the union contract, go to the grievance/arbitration section, to the three "Steps" and read them. Make sure you are not untimely because if you are, then the grievance can be dismissed because it is untimely. If you had contacted your Union rep within the time period and he did not do anything about your grievance, which caused you to be untimely, then call the Labor Board. They will either take it from there or tell you what to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">