• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underpaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thirdcoma

i work as a server in tucson, az in a 24 hour restaurant. from time to timen the kitchen needs to be closed for detailed cleaning. on nights when this happens i am expected to do cleaning but i am being paid $2.50 per hour for the 8 hours im spend cleaning. my manager tells me they don't have to pay me more because i make enough tips during the rest of the week to make up the difference. is my manager right or should i be getting minimum wage on these nights?

B

buddy2bear

If your wage of $2.50 an hour plus your tips equals minimum wage or surpasses it when divided by 40 hours a week, then your employer is right. It is only when the above does not happen that you would have a leg to stand on. So, that means that you have to keep a good record of your tips each week to make sure you don't dip below minimum wage -- in which event, your employer will have to up the hourly that he pays you in that week to pay mimimum wage. Personally, if I were the employer and wanted to keep a happy and productive workforce, I'd put you on the clock for that cleaning time and avoid all the math, bookkeeping and possible loss of good employees because of misunderstandings over a few pennies. But as the saying goes, "Penny wise, pound foolish."

B

buddy2bear

P.S. - talk about "penny wise, pound foolish," I make $22 an hour. My boss gets a 50 cent dividend check each month from an off-the-wall stock he owns. I spend 15 minutes in line at the bank cashing that check for him, which means he pays me $5.50 to cash a 50 cent check, more if I am held up in line -- it only goes to show you that some employers lack common sense! LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">