• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot light fixture fell on my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josette1986

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was sitting in a Target parking lot when a shower of broken glass came down on my car. At first, I wasnt sure where the glass had came from. Then not even 2 minutes later another shower of broken glass came down on my car again. One of the shopping cart attendants saw what happened & got a store manager out to talk to me right away. He wrote up a report because my car was really scratched up from the broken glass & my windshield received 2 small cracks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

I bet that was a surprise.

Since you didn't ask a question, let me guess what you might have been seeking.

I would expect Target to pay for the damage. If they don't, let us know why they denied you.

Banned_Princess

Why were you sitting in your car for at least 5 minuits in the target parking lot... at least 2 minuits after glass fell on your car from the hevens... did you even like get out to try to find out where the glass even came from?

sounds like you physically sat there and waited for more things to fall from the sky ... which did happen.

ecmst12

I'm not sure that Target is liable for this, even if they own the parking lot and light fixtures, which they might not. This type of situation is what Comprehensive insurance coverage is made for.

justalayman

Lighting fixtures don't just break but honestly, unless the OP left a mark on the pole or base where he hit the pole showing he hit it or it was caught on the security cameras, I would think Target would pay for the damage rather than trying to refuse it.

You Are Guilty

First, why did the glass break? Big difference between say, it fell out on its own versus the OP shot it with a BB gun.

Once that has been determined, then you need to figure out a) who owns the parking lot, and b) who operates/maintains the lot, as those would be the people to sue (if Target doesn't voluntarily pay).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">