• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cousins trying to steal inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taroon

Hello,

I don't wish to sound insensitive, but the fact of the matter is my grandparents are sick and nearing their "time", and the issue of inheritance has come into the spotlight. I care for them on an emotional level and there are many other issues such as their health and happiness to consider, but I also believe that this issue should be addressed.

Recently, some of their distant cousins came onto the scene and cared for them in the hospital for a few days. I appreciate what they did for them, but now they are demanding 80-100% of the inheritance, which I think is highly unreasonable. They have only very recently been involved with the family, and I don't believe their actions warrant such a request. I would certainly be glad to compensate them for the time they have given thus far, but I think in no way do they deserve even close to what they are asking. I am a direct descendant that has been with them their whole life, while the cousins have only come very recently and done relatively little.

The problem is, my grandparents are somewhat less lucid at this point, so the issue isn't as clear-cut to them. They are actually considering signing over such an amount to the cousins.

My question is, is there any law that could prevent the cousins from receiving what I consider to be an exorbitant amount, or any law that could sway my grandparents hand to sign over at least the majority to me. I am their only living direct descendant and have been with them for most of my life.

Thank you,
Andrew

tranquility

You have no rights to your grandparents' money. None. A legal maxim is you have no heirs until you're dead. That means something along the lines of "don't count your chickens until they're hatched".

Now, that does not mean there is not a problem if the grandparents lack capacity to change their wills. You have not made a case for undue influence, so that would be the only legal leg to stand on--after they die. Then, you petition the court they lacked the capacity to change things. Or, you can try to find them incompetent now. Either way, you would need a lawyer who will tell you to knock off the talk about what people deserve and only consider what the grandparents REAL wishes are.

curb1

You need to have their mental competence documented at this time so that later it won't have to be reconstructed. Are the cousins unduly influencing the grandparents? Is there an existing will? What about bank accounts that could bypass the will? How is the property titled? If grandparents are mentally capable, it is their decision and you could get in trouble trying to change their mind.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">