• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Friend" wrecked car and won't pay for damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samer1abbas

I allowed someone I knew to drive my car and I was the passenger. He lost control and crashed into a parked car, totalling both cars. I did not have insurance on the car at the time of the accident since I bought it 2 days before. My insurance policy is going to cover the parked car because of a 30 day policy they have for new cars (I am insured on my other vehicles). My question is, can I take this person who wrecked my car to court in order to pay for the damage done to my car? Would I have a chance? He refuses to pay claiming that since I allowed him to drive that I am also responsible. I am in Michigan- a no-fault state.

ecmst12

You can try but I'm not sure how far you'll get in Michigan. Not having insurance on the car is YOUR fault.

justalayman

. He lost control and crashed into a parked car, totalling both cars. I did not have insurance on the car at the time of the accident since I bought it 2 days before. My insurance policy is going to cover the parked car because of a 30 day policy they have for new cars (
which is it? You either have insurance or you don't?

What exactly does your policy state as to coverage on a newly purchased car?

Does your friend have a license? Is he a good driver?

I allowed someone I knew to drive my car and I was the passenger. He lost control and crashed into a parked car, totalling both cars. I did not have insurance on the car at the time of the accident since I bought it 2 days before. My insurance policy is going to cover the parked car because of a 30 day policy they have for new cars (I am insured on my other vehicles). My question is, can I take this person who wrecked my car to court in order to pay for the damage done to my car? Would I have a chance? He refuses to pay claiming that since I allowed him to drive that I am also responsible. I am in Michigan- a no-fault state.
No, you gave them the keys & off they went ... you are responsible

ecmst12

George, please stop posting since you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. In every other state, the driver would absolutely be responsible for the damage, it's only the weird no-fault laws in Michigan that complicate things. And I am certain you have not researched those laws.

Apparently OP had insurance on another vehicle which covers his liability but not collision since that car had not been added to the policy yet.

I would still give small claims court a try, never know.

justalayman

Apparently OP had insurance on another vehicle which covers his liability but not collision since that car had not been added to the policy yet.
that's what I was hoping for as a clarification. I am not familiar with this type of extension.

The no fault insurance won't affect the drivers liability to the owner from anything I have read. The next couple of questions I asked could though. If the guy didn't have a license, OP may have cut his own throat. If the OP new the driver was a poor driver, OP likely cut his own throat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">