• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Upside Down Car Loan due to No Fault Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DelisaR

I was involved in an accident (not my fault) that resulted in total loss. I received a settlement amount for less then what was owed on the car and I didn't have GAP insurance. So I made arrangements with the finance company to pay off the deficient balance by making $100 payments each month. However, I just noticed that they have been reporting my account as delinquent to the credit bureau. Considering the fact that I made agreed upon arrangements to pay off the debt, I don't understand how they can report my account as delinquent. Yes, I'm paying less then my original car payment, but I haven't missed any of the payments since the arrangement was made. Please let me know if the finance company is in the wrong and if I have any power to stop them from reporting me as delinquent.

FlyingRon

Presumably the insurance payout that did come went to the lender? Presumably the rest was payable when the car was destroyed, but I agree with you. If they accepted new terms, they ought not to be reporting it as delinquent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">