• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbk2j

I live in TN and my father passed away about 5 months ago. He told me years ago that my brother and I were to inherit two houses when he passed. This is my half-brother and now he is sitting on everything. My EX step-mother was left executor of the will after they divorced about a year ago. Since he has passed I have had no contact with them whatsoever and I haven't seen a will. I am completely upset about all of this and really do not know what to do at this point.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

Have you checked the county courthouse there to see if probate has been filed and order a copy of the will and estate inventory? Have you tried calling stepmom to see if she's filed probate?

Do realize that many older people who pulled equity out of real estate, thinking values would keep climbing, either lost those in foreclosure or the loans defaulted once they passed. I help handle default loans, and you'd be amazed how many foreclosures I see that involve properties maxed out by retired borrowers who were covering payments through SS and pensions which ceased upon their deaths. It IS entirely possible that real estate holdings of several years ago were no longer owned by him by the time he passed away.

Last edited:

Kiawah

First, you have to investigate the deed titles for the properties, to understand exactly how the properties were deeded. It could be, that the properties pass to someone directly, and will not be part of his 'estate' that is then governed by his will.

Secondly, if the properties or his portion of the properties will be part of the estate, you would then investigate the probate records to see how the will directs that the properties are to be administered.

I would suggest getting some local legal assistance to help you thru this maze.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">