• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needlegaladvice

The following is an example only. I bought one copy of software. Inside is a paper that says I'm allowed to install it on only one computer only. I want it on two without having to purchase another copy. Can this company really enforce this rule on me, a home (non commercial) user in the privacy of his own home?

Thanks a lot for your time.

State = MN

ALawyer

If that's what the license says, that's what it means. Whether they'd enforce is another issue entirely.

N

needlegaladvice

I really appreciate your reply to my post. This is exactly what I thought. What I want now are to what extent this company is allowed to enforce the rule. I can certainly understand this rule's ability to be enforced when the software is copied between friends; but what about between immediate family members?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

E

Edemoranville

enforcement

I'm not sure of the home use repercussions, but I know for business, you better own the right number of licenses. I've known a few companies to check up on it, and it can get extremely costly.
Save yourself the hastle, and buy the second copy. It probably wouldn't be worth the court costs down the road.

N

needlegaladvice

Thanks again for replying. I was kind of hoping to receive an answer to my question by bringing the actual laws to my attention. Remember, for a home user, not a business. I do appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">