• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit by drunk driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kuhldeville

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
I was recently involved in an accident. I was passed on the left by by a speeding drunk driver in a residential zone while making a left turn. I was not hurt too bad, but we have accrued a lot of expenses due to the fact that the police, never got insurance information/contact information from the guy that hit me (he was on a motorcycle). After more than a month the driver still hadn't reported the accident to his insurance company. We have had to pay for impound fees, we lost a small business (replacement value of accounts 2500), another business that we had has suffered, tickets, towing etc... we are out about 4-5K at this point not to mention the extra amount of stress and anxiety it has caused us.... the insurance Company (Progressive Insurance) wants to offer us $700.00... any words of advice
Truck was total loss,

Last edited:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
I was recently involved in an accident. I was passed on the left by by a speeding drunk driver in a residential zone while making a left turn. I was not hurt too bad, but we have accrued a lot of expenses due to the fact that the police, never got insurance information/contact information from the guy that hit me (he was on a motorcycle). After more than a month the driver still hadn't reported the accident to his insurance company. We have had to pay for impound fees, we lost a small business, another business that we had has suffered, tickets, towing etc... we are out about 4-5K at this point not to mention the extra amount of stress and anxiety it has caused us.... the insurance Company (Progressive Insurance) wants to offer us $700.00... any words of advice
Lost a small business eh? Quit posting jibberish....and a second business? Really? You were at the scene & YOU did not get insurance information, quit blaming the police -- they are not your mommy. If you are not happy with progressive's offer then take them to small claims court. I'm sure a judge would love to hear you story of how this accident made you convert to scientology. 4-5K aint tonnes of money.

ecmst12

You are entitled to the cost to repair your car or the fair market value, whichever is less. You are entitled to reasonable towing and storage fees, but if you let the car sit in the tow lot for weeks just waiting to get insurance information, they're probably not going to pay for all of it. You are entitled to reimbursement for actual medical bills incurred and possibly a small additional amount for pain and suffering, but since you were not hurt badly, don't expect a lot.

But you are not entitled to anything for annoyance, inconvenience, time spent finding the insurance company, or any of the other irrelevent items you mentioned.

tammy8

Did he pass in a legal passing zone?

Crazy law but if he was, you are likely to be found at fault for turning left.

justalayman

You are required to mitigate your damages. That means you would need to either fix the vehicle or rent another one in order to minimize your losses for your business. It appears you failed to do so. That severely restricts your right to claim those damages.

No idea what your other business has to do with this. Do you?

So, were you using your turn signal when you were turning? If not, you were the cause of the accident, not the motorcyclist.

His insurance is irrelevant. The rider is who you would sue. His information is available on the accident report.

have you contacted your insurance company. For some reason I suspect you had only liability insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">