• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of Ecstasy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SunGlow

California

Apparently since early November the local police department has been investigating my involvement in ecstasy possession/dealing, though I have not been charged with anything yet. I'm currently a minor and am attending high school. The police department called my house earlier this week and spoke with my mother. They told her that they had me for possession of ecstasy and were looking in further to get me for distributing it as well. I have never been arrested or even gotten so much as a parking ticket before. They told my mother that the evidence they had were some facebook pictures from 'raves' that I attend. Apparently the reason they started looking into me was because my name seemed to come up whenever they arrested or questioned kids at my high school. I have never distributed the drug and am not quite sure why they would think I do. I have not touched the drug since early November.

My involvement in the 'rave' culture isn't completely absent-- I've put one together, I attend them quite frequently and I've put together a bus to take myself and 39 other people to a massive one. In regards to the bus, I took some of my friends and some people I didn't know too well to a music festival for the night. We returned and everything went smoothly--or so I thought. When the police talked to my mom they mentioned that a few people who were suppose to go on the bus to this festival were arrested for possession of ecstasy. Also some kids told their parents about the event and the drug use and the parents reported it to the police. The police are now wanting to question my father, who has no involvement with anything. They think that he signed the contract for the bus (since you have to be 18), but he did not, my older friend did.

They want both my parents to come in and look at the pictures that they want to charge me on. They haven't made any effort to try to talk to me but when/if they do, I believe that they will just ask me to give them names of dealers or people involved with distribution.

My question is: can the police arrest me based off my demeanor in facebook pictures? Or even more so can they arrest me for possession if I haven't possessed it in months? Also, are they obligated to completely communicate through my parents? They have no involvement in any of this. My mom knew I used the drug in the past, and we both thought we were through that. I understand I'm a minor and can't really answer for myself.

I was going to go and talk to one of the police officers in my school to see if I can clear things up, is that not a good idea?

I'm not so much worried about getting charged with dealing because I have never done that.

Thank you for any help you may provide.

justalayman

I was going to go and talk to one of the police officers in my school to see if I can clear things up, is that not a good idea?
no. not a good idea.

the only good idea at this point is to speak with an attorney.

this sounds more like a joke than anything. The police don't tend to do what you are claiming they are with your parents.

can the police arrest me based off my demeanor in facebook pictures?
no

Or even more so can they arrest me for possession if I haven't possessed it in months?
sure. if a misemeanor, they have a year to file charges. If a felony, I believe it is at least 3 years.

Also, are they obligated to completely communicate through my parents?
not at all

I understand I'm a minor and can't really answer for myself.
Um, not sure where you get that. They can arrest you any time they have sufficient evidence to allow for a warrant. They don't have to let your parents know what is going on first.

CdwJava

Apparently since early November the local police department has been investigating my involvement in ecstasy possession/dealing, though I have not been charged with anything yet.
Bad for you ... time to stay away from your doper friends, attend counseling, and speak to no one about your dealing.

I'm currently a minor and am attending high school.
Even worse!

The police department called my house earlier this week and spoke with my mother. They told her that they had me for possession of ecstasy and were looking in further to get me for distributing it as well. I have never been arrested or even gotten so much as a parking ticket before.
Sounds like you are starting that ol' criminal history record with a bang and not a whimper.

They told my mother that the evidence they had were some facebook pictures from 'raves' that I attend. Apparently the reason they started looking into me was because my name seemed to come up whenever they arrested or questioned kids at my high school. I have never distributed the drug and am not quite sure why they would think I do. I have not touched the drug since early November.
Facebook images alone would no be sufficient to even charge you. But, even if you gave a pill to a friend, that is distributing. You do not have to be a big time dealer or even get paid to be charged with distribution. It sounds like they have witnesses that will finger you for providing it to them.

As a felony, they have up to three years to file this, so all because it has been more than a month means nothing, legally.

My involvement in the 'rave' culture isn't completely absent-- I've put one together, I attend them quite frequently and I've put together a bus to take myself and 39 other people to a massive one.
And I am sure you did not facilitate or at least permit the sale or use of drugs on these trips or at these raves, right? :rolleyes:

Say, I might have some pics of the dead kids I used to find in my years in so. cal. at these raves. Nice ones, too ... NOT!

Your little hobby is deadly ... time to grow up!

When the police talked to my mom they mentioned that a few people who were suppose to go on the bus to this festival were arrested for possession of ecstasy. Also some kids told their parents about the event and the drug use and the parents reported it to the police.
What a shock! :rolleyes:

The police are now wanting to question my father, who has no involvement with anything. They think that he signed the contract for the bus (since you have to be 18), but he did not, my older friend did.
Then why do they want to talk to dad about the bus? Did your friend sign your dad's name?

My question is: can the police arrest me based off my demeanor in facebook pictures? Or even more so can they arrest me for possession if I haven't possessed it in months?
No, and yes.

It sounds like they have much more than Facebook pics, kiddo.

Also, are they obligated to completely communicate through my parents?
No law requires them to EVER talk to you. I suspect they'll get around to it someday, but you would be wise to ask mom and dad for about $5,000-$10,000 for a good attorney.

How happy do you think they are going to be?

If you want to clear your conscience and accept all responsibility, sure. But, legally, you would be advised to consult legal counsel and shut up.

You are facing some potentially very serious hoo-hah, kid. And if ANY kid was hurt or died at any of these parties you had a hand in, guess who can also get charged for those? You got it - you!

So, time to go to mom and dad and ask them for a lot of money for an attorney. And if you talk to them, guess what? The state can call mom and dad to testify against you! Yep! There is no parent-child confidentiality, so they could be compelled to testify to anything you say or show them.

Grow up, young man, before you or someone else gets killed! I have seen too many bodies at raves to even remotely consider them a fun old time.

SunGlow

I just don't understand how they could charge me for possessing if no one has even seen me with pills in my hand.

Isn't it true that if a person is under the influence of some drug and goes up to a police officer and tells them that they are on something, they can only be charged with public intoxication? If so, I'm sort of in the same boat, only it's months later and I've never told a police officer.

Why would they come after me when at least 10% of my school uses or has used the drug?

My dad's name was never even mentioned in regards to the bus so I have no idea why they want to question him.

EDIT:
Also, are my parents legally required to attend this meeting that the police has set up? I assume in this meeting they will just show my parents the pictures and go into more detail with everything.

Last edited:

justalayman

=SunGlow;2723656]I just don't understand how they could charge me for possessing if no one has even seen me with pills in my hand.
you do admit to having them in your possession so somebody has seen you with it. Maybe that is who turned you in?

Isn't it true that if a person is under the influence of some drug and goes up to a police officer and tells them that they are on something, they can only be charged with public intoxication?
Uh, no.

Why would they come after me when at least 10% of my school uses or has used the drug?
they have to start somewhere.

My dad's name was never even mentioned in regards to the bus so I have no idea why they want to question him.
Nor do I. Maybe they figure he will provide them with enough evidence, unwittingly, to arrest you. Maybe it's your dad who turned you in? Only the ones that want to question him know why.

Also, are my parents legally required to attend this meeting that the police has set up?
Nope.

swalsh411

EDIT:
Also, are my parents legally required to attend this meeting that the police has set up? I assume in this meeting they will just show my parents the pictures and go into more detail with everything.
You are not required to attend this meeting the police have set up, unless you are in custody in which case you should say absolutely nothing expect "I want an attorney".

I will make this as crystal clear as possible, although I suspect you think you are smart enough for it not to apply to you.

DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE.

edit: The cops are a lot more experienced than you are. You have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose by opening your mouth.

Last edited:

CdwJava

I just don't understand how they could charge me for possessing if no one has even seen me with pills in my hand.
So ... none of your friends or associates have ever seen you with pills? No one. No one at all?

Isn't it true that if a person is under the influence of some drug and goes up to a police officer and tells them that they are on something, they can only be charged with public intoxication?
Not true at all. You can be charged with being under the influence of whatever substance you are ... well ... under the influence of.

Because they managed to find some evidence against you. Apparently your a pretty high profile little wheeler and dealer. Renting buses, sponsoring raves, you're hardly a small potato here. I imagine your name has popped up a lot if any of your bragging is true.

Oh, and statistically speaking, I doubt that 10% of your school has used ecstasy.

Probably as a witness. "What do you know about your son's dope dealing?" And, probably to ask about people he's seen you with, where you have gone on certain dates, etc.

Your parents do not have to go. But, if they don't try to work with the police, you may find yourself off to kiddie prison. They can either work with the authorities (and an attorney) to try and get you into a program and out of prison, or they can dig in their heels and you could face a serious felony being on your record forever.

I am not sure you grasp the gravity of the situation you may be in. If what you have written here is true, you could be in a huge world of hurt!

You need to ask them for the money for that attorney ASAP. With any luck, you will get a DEJ deal that gets you rehabilitation and probation and no felony conviction.

john39

So, time to go to mom and dad and ask them for a lot of money for an attorney. And if you talk to them, guess what? The state can call mom and dad to testify against you! Yep! There is no parent-child confidentiality, so they could be compelled to testify to anything you say or show them.
CdwJava is right.I found what he said very interesting (and this time I checked before I jump :D ).In the U.S. courts have recognized privilege not to testify for spouses, lawyers/clients ,psychotherapists/ patients...but not for "parent/child.

In Europe and Asia, majority of countries do not compel parents and children from testifying against one another.

Australia is common law country and Australia too does not compel parents and their children testifying against one another in a criminal proceeding.

Just saying ....maybe over there successfully was argued that the sanctity of the family and the right to privacy in the family justified the creation of that exception.

Ok that was it,just little intermezzo :) I am not hijacking the thread with more.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">