• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-musicians playing my songs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JjLaw69

tn.i recently left tn where i played in a band.we recorded a cd which i wrote the majority of the music.since i left they have continued to play my songs and have sold the cds without me getting anything from it.can i do anything about it?

C

Carebear30

Reply & ?

Hello tn,
I'm sorry to hear that your lyrics/music is being sung without you being in the band you used to be in. I'm writing you today with a question I know you'll be more than able to answer. *S* I have two songs written, not on professional paper (but on plain paper no notes or anything)...actually what I've done is taken a song and changed the original lyrics and made a christian song from the Barney theme song. Would you know how I can submit my song to them (asking specifically on permission obtained for their music)? Also, with the other song I have written, how do I copywrite it and then take the "route" to having it sung by an artist and making money on it? If you can help me please write me at my email address as soon as you can. Thank you for posting...

HomeGuru

Re: Reply & ?

Carebear30 said:
Hello tn,
I'm sorry to hear that your lyrics/music is being sung without you being in the band you used to be in. I'm writing you today with a question I know you'll be more than able to answer. *S* I have two songs written, not on professional paper (but on plain paper no notes or anything)...actually what I've done is taken a song and changed the original lyrics and made a christian song from the Barney theme song. Would you know how I can submit my song to them (asking specifically on permission obtained for their music)? Also, with the other song I have written, how do I copywrite it and then take the "route" to having it sung by an artist and making money on it? If you can help me please write me at my email address as soon as you can. Thank you for posting...
My response: The Barney song is not an original song but a remake of the kids tune This Old Man with the words changed.
If the song is traditional, then there is no copyright and is considered public domain such as the song Happy Birthday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">