• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Isurance settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nwyb2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
In September I was involved in a fatality auto accident. A young woman lost control of her vehicle and crossed the center line. Her car crossed in front of my truck. She was driving a small convertible and needles to say took the heaviest impact and died at the scene. My truck was totaled, I suffered broken bones in my right hand and wrist as well as lacerations to my scalp, not to mention the mental and emotional stress of the outcome. The other drivers insurance has accepted full responsibility. I'm over 50 and I work with my hands for a living. After four months the bones have healed but I don't have full use of my right hand yet. My employer has been able to shift me to an office position but my earning potential is about 30% less. The insurer has offered a settlement of 13,000 plus medical expenses and the replacement value of my truck (blue book, my truck was my hobby) I'm looking into the future wondering if this is a fair settlement of if I should try to negotiate for more?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nwyb2010

I explained to the adjuster that my employer had been able to find a different position for me after the accident.

nwyb2010

Don't remember if I made that clear. I owe her a phone call as I told her I needed time to think about their offer.

No, I don't think that is a good deal at all. If you settle then they are off the hook forever and you have to worry about what happens if that offer from your employer is going to last for the next 16 years.

You really should go talk to a few lawyers. They gennerally get a third including a third of med bills. Depending on how your med bills have been paid and how much they are, you could be paying the lawyer 1/2 of any profit from a settlement. Becare how your lawyer explains this, and make sure that the lawyer will get you more than the 13 grand.

Standard offers are generally 3 times the Med bills. But it sounds like you have a perminate disability that is going to take $ out of your pocket forever.

Good luck.

The insurance offer sounds more like a workmans comp settlement as opposed to a vehicle accident. I would turn down their offer and file suit. Its an insult.

ecmst12

It sounds low to me too. The whole "3x medical bills" thing is a total myth but your injuries were serious and you have permanent damage. I would start looking for a lawyer and don't say another word to the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">