• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Fund and Inheritance Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtrc6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hi,

I'm not very savvy with all the technical terms, but I'll try to explain as best I can.

I was curious about the following issue...

My mom passed away when I was 14 (so did my Grandpa, actually.) I know that they both left me a pretty good sum of money in their wills, with my dad as the Trustee (I think. I believe he is the one that can manage the account.) My mom also left about $80,000 in a Fidelity 529 plan for me to use for college (I'm assuming my dad manages this as well?)

Well, that was then. It's been 4 years, I'm 18 now, and my dad basically just told me he's kicking me out of the house after graduation, on the grounds that "I have a bad attitude and don't pull my own weight around the house."

I was wondering: Is there anyway I can get the money that was left to me? I don't know how willing my dad will be to let me do this, but is there another way? Also, can I manage my own 529 plan and use it to pay for my college? Or am I at my dad's mercy for that as well?

Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated. I'm in a bit over my head and none of my relatives seemed to know anything about it either.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

curb1

Your name should be on the Fidelity 529 plan. Call them and see how much information they will give you. They will most likely only give information about the account to the account owner, but they might acknowledge that an account exists, or not.

You need to get a conversation going with your dad about this. Otherwise you will need to get legal help. Are you ready to go to college to use the 529 plan?

mtrc6

Your name should be on the Fidelity 529 plan. Call them and see how much information they will give you. They will most likely only give information about the account to the account owner, but they might acknowledge that an account exists, or not.

You need to get a conversation going with your dad about this. Otherwise you will need to get legal help. Are you ready to go to college to use the 529 plan?
Yes, I've already been accepted to UT Austin and have confirmed my admission and made part of my payments. As in... like $200. As for the other 10-12 thousand per year, I don't know how that will work.

Is there any way to get a free consultation? Or have someone explain what my options are where I wouldn't have to pay upfront?

curb1

Do you have zero communication with your father? You need to make some phone calls. 1) Call Fidelity. 2) Call the 529 plan organization for your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">