• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong or Right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jyasmene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC/ District of Columbia.

I was leaving from my home with my 2-year old son; my vehicle was parked on the street parallel. I looked for cars coming up and down my street before pulling out of my parked spot. There were no cars. I began to pull out of the spot in the direction of making a u-turn. Although before I could move my car in reverse to back-up a vehicle came up my street striking me on the driver side, near the driver door.

I called the police and did not move my vehicle until the police officer instructed me to do so. The office took my information (insurance, registration, license, etc.) as well as the other indiviuals information. After the officer's findings and/or report, I was given a ticket for $100.00 failure to yield right away.

Is that really true? Do I truly deserve this ticket, I wasnt even moving when I was hit? The other individual did not receive a ticket. I would have thought they got a ticket for speeding or failure to stop??

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DC/ District of Columbia.

I was leaving from my home with my 2-year old son; my vehicle was parked on the street parallel. I looked for cars coming up and down my street before pulling out of my parked spot. There were no cars. I began to pull out of the spot in the direction of making a u-turn. Although before I could move my car in reverse to back-up a vehicle came up my street striking me on the driver side, near the driver door.

I called the police and did not move my vehicle until the police officer instructed me to do so. The office took my information (insurance, registration, license, etc.) as well as the other indiviuals information. After the officer's findings and/or report, I was given a ticket for $100.00 failure to yield right away.

Is that really true? Do I truly deserve this ticket, I wasnt even moving when I was hit? The other individual did not receive a ticket. I would have thought they got a ticket for speeding or failure to stop??
So, you pulled in to traffic and you were struck by an approaching vehicle. Yet you really need to ask if you failed to yield?

jyasmene

Response to Wrong or Right

Yes...I must ask since there was absolutely no cars and/or traffic when I pulled out. I live in an apartment complex on a street which most cars choose to speed on.

Who's Liable?

If there truly were NO vehicles on the road when you pulled out, you would not have been hit.

Yes, YOU failed to yield, therefore you are at fault.

Don't worry about it, MANY people ask the same question since they fail to understand HOW they are at fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">