• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why a Will is needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rooster13

California

My parents already have a Living Trust set up. I heard that they should also have a Will. Why would they need a will if they already have a living trust established?

anteater

Because not all their assets may be part of the trust.

People dispose of assets and people acquire new assets. And they may fail to make the new assets part of the trust.

Even a pour over will, that simply directs that any assets that are not already part of the trust be distributed to the trust, is a good idea.

And, if your parents retained an attorney to create the trust, I am surprised that the attorney did not suggest a pour over will.

Last edited:

Kiawah

Do you think the jewelry, checking accounts, the automobiles, the furniture, and etc, are titled in the trust name?

All that other stuff, is why there should be a will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">