• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination due to age discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Heleneshen

I am located in California.

At age 55, I am (was) by far the oldest employee on staff. My boss has continually shown overt favoritism to the much younger , less-experienced women on staff, while almost completely ignoring me. His actions have included being very "touch-feely" with them and using obscene, sexually explicit language (which the young women seem to like). I've not been given a satisfactory reason as to why I was suddenly fired, other than that I "don't have the skills they want" -- despite the fact that I've never been told that my skills are lacking in any way, nor has my performance ever been criticized. Do I possibly have grounds to pursue an age discrimination case?

B

buddy2bear

Doesn't cost you a cent to file a charge with the EEOC.

A

Always searching

Yes but.........

If you file a charge with the EEOC, it will take legal counsel to persue this matter further. Get the charge written out and go talk to an employment attorney. Doing this sort of thing by yourself is fruitless without the backing needed. Write down dates and times and put it in outline form. When the lawyer gets the results back from EEOC and it is in your favor, then the action begins. Go seek counsel first.

B

buddy2bear

Well, that's all fine and dandy and she will need to eventually get an employment attorney, but you must go through the administrative process first -- which means the EEOC. After they investigate and issue a Right to Sue letter, she will have a better chance of finding an attorney to take her case and it will be a tig better received in court if it ends up going there if not settled out of court.

A

Always searching

Fine and dandy it is. I found it better the other way. See if the case is winnable and then the attorney can help with the wording. But fine is fine and dandy is dandy. Best of luck to you either way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">