• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do you know whos right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ericf1993

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA.

how do you tell whos right and whos at fault in an accident?

ecmst12

Meh, not really. To determine fault, you evaluate the facts of the accident and apply the correct traffic law. The most important factor is which vehicle had the right of way. If the answer to that is clear, then it's easy to determine who is at fault. If it's NOT clear, then it gets a little more difficult and you have to get into whether there are witnesses or physical evidence to support one story or the other.

ericf1993

well the other side did have a witness , there were no tickets given.
if they have a witness, is it automatically my fault?

Betty

No, it's not automatically your fault just because the other side has a witness. However, we have no idea whose fault the accident was since
we have no details in regard to it.

ecmst12

In a word vs word situation, an independent witness would be very important evidence and could definitely be the deciding factor in fault determination.

Betty

Agree though it doesn't mean the party that doesn't have a witness is
*automatically* at fault. I agree with what you said though.

ericf1993

wait so if the insurance company gives me the moeny for the total loss, i have to use that money to pay the rest of the car off before i can buy a new car?

justalayman

how do you tell whos right and whos at fault in an accident?
you wait until the judge tells you. Until you reach that point, any decisions of who is at fault are arbitrary and non-binding on the only entity that can rule on the issue; the judge.

ecmst12

wait so if the insurance company gives me the moeny for the total loss, i have to use that money to pay the rest of the car off before i can buy a new car?
Well that has nothing to do with who is at fault, but yes, if your car is totalled, your leinholder must be paid off before you get any cash back to use on a new car.

justalayman

what if the witness is wrong though?
he doesn't get to continue his chance at playing "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"?

with no facts, it is impossible to give you any real direction. Witness can be useful, sometimes. There are times the witness loses the case for their side. It all depends on the facts, which we have none of here.

Betty

Well that has nothing to do with who is at fault, but yes, if your car is totalled, your leinholder must be paid off before you get any cash back to use on a new car.
Agree; if you owe on the car, the balance has to be paid off. However; at this time, you need to concentrate on who is at fault & also wait & see how much you get for your car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">