• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Consumption of Alcohol 1st Offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdbennion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I am an 18 year old college student in Utah. A very close friend of mine was moving to Florida and we had a going away party. There was alcohol involved and I drank.

After a while, the landlord of the apartment called and warned that we were being loud and some neighbors threatened to call the police. Despite all of my warnings, the music stayed loud and people were very vocal.

The police showed up and tested everyone. I blew a .046 and have no previous offenses of any kind.

Question: I am going to plead guilty and ask for a diversion. I was just wondering if I could get more explanation on what a diversion really is.

Question: Also is there any possibility of me taking a drug test in court? I could possibly test positive for marijuana.

Any information that would help me out would be great! This is my first time in court, so I just want to know what to expect and a little bit more basic information about what I should say or what I should expect.

Thanks for the help!
Christian

Karlq

Question: I am going to plead guilty and ask for a diversion. I was just wondering if I could get more explanation on what a diversion really is.
A diversion is a case that is "diverted" out of the criminal justice system. You would have to participate in a treatment or rehabilitation program. Charges are dropped if you successfully complete a diversion program, A diversion will allow you to escape the stigma of a criminal conviction.
Diversion programs are often available to first-time offenders facing charges such as misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies involving drugs or alcohol.

Question: Also is there any possibility of me taking a drug test in court? I could possibly test positive for marijuana.
No, but stop smoking because you could be tested later under the program.

And consider dropping alcohol from your adult life as it is a hard and destructive drug.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">