• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who covers mechanical failure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chinikins

Texas:

I drive a 2007 Volvo S-40. For the past week, I smelled smoke on and off, but didn't think it was the car. Last night, while driving, I suddenly saw lots of smoke, and I couldn't control the car quite right - the steering wheel seemed to be locked. Because of other cars, I drove on to the curb and pulled the handbrake to stop the car. Then, when I thought it was safe (i.e. no cars), I drove back on to the side of the road. But, then there was a huge noise, so I quickly turned the car off. I walked out, and saw all 4 tires were flat and there was transmission fluid all over the place. I ended up getting the car towed to the dealership. But, now they're saying insurance should cover this, not the car's warranty. Insurance is saying I wasn't involved in an accident. I still owe about $11,000 on the car. Someone please give me some advice!

Last edited:

ecmst12

What do you mean gone? You mean you blew out all 4 tires and wrecked the transmission by driving onto the curb? That might be covered under collision insurance.

ecmst12

Although it occurs to me that you drove onto the curb on purpose, so that might not be considered an accident for insurance purposes. You are going to have to be a little more clear about what happened. I don't think you meant to imply that your tires were stolen while you were driving the car.

Chinikins

Sorry, what I meant was, the tires were all flat. I didn't think that driving on the curb would cause that much damage to the car. I just got off the phone with the dealership service center where my car was towed to, and they said that the transmission, radiation, motor, and gasket are all broken.

The car was making funny noises and smoking before I drove onto the curb. But it was when I came off the curb that the noise turned into this scary sputtering noise, so I just turned the car completely off.

Kiawah

Who covers mechanical failures? You will, for failing to maintain your vehicle, and then causing further damage by driving up on the curb. Why would you not have the dealership/mechanic look at it, at the very first smell of smoke?

I'm afraid this will be a very costly lesson.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Not having read your warrenty, I don't know what it covers, but it isn't likely to cover wear and tear or anything caused by driving over a curb. The radiator was likely damaged by the curb as well as the tires. Not sure about the rest, the mechanic should be able to tell you.

racer72

Sorry, what I meant was, the tires were all flat. I didn't think that driving on the curb would cause that much damage to the car. I just got off the phone with the dealership service center where my car was towed to, and they said that the transmission, radiation, motor, and gasket are all broken.The car was making funny noises and smoking before I drove onto the curb. But it was when I came off the curb that the noise turned into this scary sputtering noise, so I just turned the car completely off.
I have driven cars in demolition derbies and didn't suffer this much damage.

justalayman

I have driven cars in demolition derbies and didn't suffer this much damage.
I hear that. It must have been a big curb and attacked at a pretty good rate of speed.

OP, can anybody figure out what the original problem was? If there was some problem with the steering that your actions can be seen as beyond your control, you might have a claim for the additional damages as being the ultimate result of the actual failure. The problem that probably kills that claim is this though:

I drove on to the curb
You should have stopped where you were if your steering was somehow defective. If you had enough control to be able to drive onto the curb, it is likely you had enough control to safely stop without going onto the curb. If so, unless your insurance company will slide this under some stretch of an accident, you are out of luck and out of pocket for both the remaining balance of the vehicle and the repairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">