• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

8oz of marijuana found in my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bpayne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Yesterday I was pulled over and was found with 8oz. of marijuana. My first court date is Tuesday. Do I need a lawyer for this initial apperance, or do I go to court and tell them I have a lawyer that I will be using? This was my first and last offense. I have a clean criminal/driving record, and there were no scales, baggies, or paraphernalia. Any ideas on what punishment I will face?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Yesterday I was pulled over and was found with 8oz. of marijuana. My first court date is Tuesday. Do I need a lawyer for this initial apperance, or do I go to court and tell them I have a lawyer that I will be using? This was my first and last offense. I have a clean criminal/driving record, and there were no scales, baggies, or paraphernalia. Any ideas on what punishment I will face?
**A: what were you doing with half a pound of the stuff?

ERAUPIKE

The state of North Carolina drug laws has not officially decriminalized the possession of any amount of marijuana; however, existing North Carolina marijuana legalization legislation and laws do treat first time offenders with small amounts rather favorably. For example, first time offenders in possession of less than 14 grams will automatically have their sentence suspended, while possession of up to eleven and a half ounces for first time offenders will most likely not result in incarceration, however, it is possible. It is still in your best interest to hire an attorney.

bpayne

The state of North Carolina drug laws has not officially decriminalized the possession of any amount of marijuana; however, existing North Carolina marijuana legalization legislation and laws do treat first time offenders with small amounts rather favorably. For example, first time offenders in possession of less than 14 grams will automatically have their sentence suspended, while possession of up to eleven and a half ounces for first time offenders will most likely not result in incarceration, however, it is possible. It is still in your best interest to hire an attorney.
Thank you for your feedback on this issue. I do not fear going to jail, however I have a 1 yr old daughter who does not deserve to have a father in trouble for pot. I love her with all my heart and will never let something like this happen again. I do plan to hire an attorney, I was just concerned if I needed them with me tomorrow. I hope that I will not go to jail because I need to support my family and be around for my amazing daughter. Thanks again Eraupike.

Isis1

I make one trip to get enough for myself to last a long time, with the intent to cut down the risk of getting in trouble. This obviously did not work out.
It sure didn't! From the looks of a prior post, it looks not too bad. From what I gather you are only being charged with possession and not intent to sell, right?

bpayne

It sure didn't! From the looks of a prior post, it looks not too bad. From what I gather you are only being charged with possession and not intent to sell, right?
No. They charged me with felony posession and intent to sell and deliver.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you for your feedback on this issue. I do not fear going to jail, however I have a 1 yr old daughter who does not deserve to have a father in trouble for pot. I love her with all my heart and will never let something like this happen again. I do plan to hire an attorney, I was just concerned if I needed them with me tomorrow. I hope that I will not go to jail because I need to support my family and be around for my amazing daughter. Thanks again Eraupike.
Then quite frankly YOU need to be a better person and not smoke pot. Understand?

bpayne

Then quite frankly YOU need to be a better person and not smoke pot. Understand?
I thought I made it obvious that I'm done with that lifestyle in the post that you responded to. If not, I have now. I am ashamed of my actions.

Last edited:

ERAUPIKE

I thought I made it obvious that I'm done with that lifestyle in the post that you responded to. If not, I have now. I am ashamed of my actions.
As well you should be. You are going to have a very tough time convincing any judge that you bought 8 ounces for personal use. The intent to sell is a very serious charge that will not see the leniency that a lone possession charge would have afforded you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">