• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Timaaay

I live in PA and had an issue with my zoning board. I checked the local county bar association for a consult with an attorney. I received a call back from a local attorney and explained my situation. He said "come in and we'll talk about it." After a 30-40 minute wait, I spent about an hour explaining my situation and gave him copies of legal doc and relevant court cases. I explained that I had a meeting with the local zoning board in seven days. He told me that he would be on vacation for the next 10 days. He advised me at the END of our meeting, as I got up to leave, that his rate is $250.00/hour and since I'm disabled and my only income is Social Security, he'd refer my case to a junior partner, who charges $125.00/hr.
I told him I'd call him to let me know if I would need his assistance pending the outcome of the zoning board's decision.
The zoning board found in my favor and issued my permits (solely on the info I supplied. I called the attorney's secretary (since he was on vacation) and advised her I would not be needing their help.
How surprised I therefore was to receive a bill for over $500.00! I had assumed the initial consultation was free. He charged me for 1.75 hours for the consultation (it was only one hour) and .25 hrs. for "additional review of documents"
Had I been advised that the initial consultation was not free, I would have left. Is it ethical to not disclose fees before the consultation? I believe he should have advised me that I was being charged. In fairness, at the end of our conversation, he advised me of his hourly rates. I did, in fact ask if I owed any money "for today" and his reply was, simply "you'll be billed at the end, but I'll give this to a junior partner." Again, by his reply, I had assumed no charges were currently owed.
I don't have $500.00 to pay him and the bill states that after 10 days, interest is collected at 1.5%/ week until bill is paid in full.
Is there a law or code that requires an attorney to state fees BEFORE charges are assessed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

Is there a law or code that requires an attorney to state fees BEFORE charges are assessed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No.

According to the PA Rules of Professional Conduct (1.5b)

When the lawyer has not regularly represented the client, the basis or rate of the fee shall be communicated to the client, in writing, before or within a reasonable time after commencing the representation.

Did you sign anything saying that you would pay? Well, the attny is in a pickle then. Its a case of he said/she said.

And he lied about the time, attnys always do this.

Don't pay & ignore his letters -- do not even reply.

If he takes you to court then post back.

Hot Topic

You should have asked if the consultation was free before you detailed your problems to the attorney. Absent anything in writing that indicates that the consultation was free of charge, you're on the hook.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">