• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Lot Fender Bender???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohiolaw?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Ohio - My girlfriend was involved in a very minor fender bender in a parking lot in Ohio that may or may not have actually been her fault. There was no police report, but she agreed verbally to pay for a very minor dent (barely visible) in the other person’s car that is more than 10 years old and in poor condition to start with. This elderly woman took her car to have an estimate the same day, claims there was more "hidden damage" including a rust spot that possibly couldn't have appeared in a few hours and is demanding full repair of over $400.00. My girlfriend told her that she would not pay for the hidden damage as they both agreed to the small spot at the time of the accident and is willing to pay her $250.00. What are my girlfriends rights considering there weren't any witnesses, police report, etc.?

ecmst12

Without knowing what happened, it is impossible to know whether it was her fault or not. If it was, then $400 for a minor dent repair sounds EXTREMELY reasonable. She can always let her insurance handle it if she is unsure at all.

OHRoadwarrior

Without addressing morality issues or at fault issues...

I would consider the following:
Does she have a deductible higher than the $400?

reporting it to her insurance may cost her more than that in rate increases.

Does she have insurance at all?

if the old lady sues in small claims court, the judge will probably suspend her license for no insurance. She can choose to lie about assuming responsibility.

BTW I am not in the legal profession. Just using common sense.

ecmst12

There is no deductible on liability coverage. That would defeat the purpose of having it. Deductibles only apply to comprehensive and collision coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">