• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught with dmt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Innocentforlife

I was caught in travis county, texas. Anyways so me and a friend parked at a local park for a second to try to figure out where we were going, then a cop pulls up and flashes his lights and comes up to the car. Someone called about suspicious activity in there neighborhood and he thought it was us. He then says he smells weed and asks us to get out the car. He cuffs us and puts us in the cop car then asks us what hes going to find. So we tell him weed, a scale, and dmt. He goes and finds it and says im gonna cut you a deal if all you have is weed and a scale and this doesnt come back as a controlled substance im going to let yall go. None of them knew what dmt was so they googled it and it came back as a schedule 1 controlled substance. So then he says well ill cut yall another deal if i dont have a test kit for this im gonna let yall go. he couldnt find one so he says hes going to take it to a lab and have it tested so he took our information but wrote no tickets or citations and let us go. My question is can they not write you anything and then test something and then convict you at a later time?

CJane

The officer collected evidence. If it turns out that the evidence leads them to a reasonable conclusion that you were breaking the law by possessing it, especially in combination with the other drugs and paraphernalia that you had at the time, they can turn that over to the DA to determine whether charges should be filed and an arrest warrant issued.

The Occultist

innocentforlife, they likely have over a year to file charges against you.

And to satisfy your line of reasoning, please allow me to make an extreme example in order to get a point across: taking logic under your line of reasoning, a person should not be convicted of murder if they are not arrested for the murder on site, right?

FlyingRon

innocentforlife, they likely have over a year to file charges against you.

And to satisfy your line of reasoning, please allow me to make an extreme example in order to get a point across: taking logic under your line of reasoning, a person should not be convicted of murder if they are not arrested for the murder on site, right?
Actually, this is a felony. They've got three years.

Innocentforlife

So anywhere between now and 3 years i could be convicted? That's reassuring and yeah i definitely understand now. Time for 3 years of intense stress:(

CJane

So anywhere between now and 3 years i could be convicted? That's reassuring and yeah i definitely understand now. Time for 3 years of intense stress:(
Actually, it could take a lot longer than 3 years to actually be convicted.

Any time between now and 3 years from now, you could be CHARGED.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">