• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Junking a car without a title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paguy1

Pennsylvania

I need to move my dead car right away as it has an abandoned sticker and suddenly people are calling me to buy the car and take care of the towing.

I planned to donate the car, but I couldn't find my title so selling it sounds like the best option. (I have been in touch with the police and my apartment complex and I have at most 3 days to move the car)

So I'm wondering if it's ok to sell my car to either a guy on the street or a towing company without a title and if this could come back to haunt me if I do. I keep thinking of cases where people sell their guns but their names are still on the license and then the owner goes to jail for a crime committed by the buyer, who also goes to jail. I know guns and cars are different, but I also know car accidents are one of the top killers of humans.

Basically I'll only sell the car if not transferring the title is a non-issue for me. I know the buyer will have issues getting registration, etc.

Last edited:

antrc170

Do you hold the title to the vehicle? If so, then you need to get a duplicate title and then you can sell, or donate the car as you see fit. To get a duplicate go to the DMV and fill out the form, should only take an afternoon. If you can't get it done in time, then sell the car to the tow company with the stipulation that in x amount of days you'll get the duplicate and sign it over to them.

paguy1

I am the title holder. Are you saying I can get a duplicate title the same day I fill it out? If that's the case, i'll do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">