• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana poss with intent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Touchdasky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana.

On Dec 21 2010, My friend and I were arrested on with Poss with intent to sell on MJ (37 Grams) and with Drug Paraphernalia. It began when My friend came to my house to visit me for about an hour to watch a movie, so He decides he wants to leave and go home, since he was tired and wanted to go to sleep. I decided to walk my friend to his car and we were outside for about 5 Mins while I was smoking a cigarette. (He was parked on the curb in front of my house) so my friend got in his car and started his engine (didn't leave yet.) and I was walking towards my house. All of a sudden a cop happens to drive past us, then he turns around and stopped us.. The cop tells me "stop right there" as I was walking towards my house and the cop tells my friend to "Get out of the car." The cop tells us there was a complant about the car, cause it looked suspicious. He seached us (didn't have anything on me.) and asked us "Is there anything in the car?" my friend says "No." He happened to search the car and didn't find anything. So he requested back up and the K9 searched his car didn't find anything. So the officer went to seach his car again and was succesful.. He found 1 ounce and a half (37 Grams in total), a gar, baggies and a scale. While in handcuffs the cops asked me "who are the drugs for?" I tell him "I don't know anything about it" "and that has nothing to do with me." He asks my friend and he DENY that was his. So me being behind the police car, one of the officers asked me "If I had anything in the house" I told him "Yes, there's a small roach in my room." So in handcuffs me & the officer walk towards my house and my mom happens to be inside the house.. (So heartbroken). We was in the room and I gave him my roach. We went back outside, so the officers are grilling me with questions about the MJ.. "I don't know anything about the drugs in his car." They towed his car and they took us to jail. Went to jail, got out the next day on a $5,000 bond (poss. with intent) and $500 for (Drug Paraphernalia). when i got out, my friend was still in there he didn't get released yet so he stayed another day. Court set date on the 4th of Feb. 2 Weeks later my friend got BUSTED again this time with 4 Ounces no scales or baggies (I wasn't there.) Now he has 2 Felony charges within those 2 week period. I completely dropped him as a friend. When we go to court he says he will admit to all the drugs.

Sorry for the rambling story, just need advice on this.. I'm 22 years old with a CLEAN record, never been in jail before or having a speeding ticket. And right now I CANNOT afford a Lawyer, the only I can do is get a Public Defender & I'm in process of going to school.

Last edited:

You messed up big time by telling the officer you had a roach in your room. You should have maintained that you knew nothing about your friend's MJ and that you had nothing in your house. And if they wanted to enter and search your house, you and your Mom had the right to not let an officer enter without a warrant. If you hadn't given in, you would have been let go and your friend would have gotten what he deserved. I'll let the experts give you advice on the court system, but you screwed yourself by not enforcing your rights. It sucks, I've learned the hard way too. Good luck.

You're right.. What can happen to me if he admits to the MJ in court?
Explain exactly what you were charged with. I find it a bit of a stretch if you were charged with intent to sell and paraphernalia when all you admitted to was a roach. If you were never seen in the car with all of the MJ and paraphernalia, and it's not your car, then it doesn't seem right that you would get charged for that. I think you should seek legal help in that case and it's possible that your friend admitting it was his could help you.

Touchdasky

I pray that everything goes fine and have this whole thing behind me so I can move on.. I received a phone call, I'm guessing from court reminding me that I have court Tomorrow. They said to report to the "Commissioners Court" and said "You won't be there for long.."

Does anyone know what this mean?

Some Random Guy

They said to report to the "Commissioners Court" and said "You won't be there for long.."

Does anyone know what this mean?
It means that this is the arraignment where you enter your plea. Plead guilty and all that's left is sentencing.

Plead not guilty and they will assign a trial date in the future. You may also want to request a public defender during this appearance depending on your financial status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">