• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forcing U.S. Citizens to purchase Health Ins.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stymie222

Iowa
If forcing us to purchase Health Insurance is touted as Unconstitutional, then why is the Government forcing me to purchase and pay for Medicare Part B ?

Whats the difference ?

Mass_Shyster

Iowa
If forcing us to purchase Health Insurance is touted as Unconstitutional, then why is the Government forcing me to purchase and pay for Medicare Part B ?

Whats the difference ?
I'm not aware of any decision that forced purchase of health insurance is unconstitutional. Massachusetts is doing it.

racer72

Also, many employers require employees to participate in company sponsored health plans even if the employee has to pay. The only people that have touted the Health Care Inititive as unconstitutional are those that want to get rid of it. A few courts have made decisions for and against the HCI, no final decision will be made to the cases make their way to the Supreme Court. This is likely still a few years away.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First off, something is either constitutional or its not.

Currently SCOTUS provides opinions on these issues. But that does not mean that SCOTUS' opinions are necessarily correct (see Japanese internment in 40's..many many others & they change their opinions too).

SO, it is really up to us citizens to determine what is constitutional or not. We can certainly reference SCOTUS opinions but we have no duty to follow their viewpoint. (this is one of the reasons why we can own guns).

I can see no authority(s) given to the federal gov't under our constitution that gives them the right to do alot of what they do (education, etc.).

Insurance mandates is also one. Federal judge in VA ruled on this correctly.

The "interstate commerce" clause was not meant to be used as it is being used today.

Its gov't gone crazy & they don't even show you her bits.

The poster is referencing federal mandates, not states ... I have not examined each state's authority...
What is up with you wackos? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mass_Shyster

Currently SCOTUS provides opinions on these issues. But that does not mean that SCOTUS' opinions are necessarily correct
As a matter of law, the SCOTUS decisions are correct, until the SCOTUS decides they are not.

see Japanese internment in 40's
That's still good law. It's never been overturned. See KOREMATSU v. UNITED STATES, 323 U.S. 214 (1944)

Proserpina

I know that you don't believe that this ruling was constitutionally OK .. zigner might ... he never thinks any SCOTUS ruling is wrong.

Hmmm...you're very quick to point that out (even though it's patently false).

So, how many other screen names have you had?

How many times have you been banned from this forum?

Proserpina

I have never been banned from this forum. But I have read zigner's postings & I'm glad you agree with my assessment of him.

How many other screen names have you had & how many times have you been banned from this forum?

You are not a moderator, why you acting like one? Think you are a big shot? Mind your own business ... maybe I'll look at your postings and see how ignorant you have been to other posters too.

We know who you are.

:cool:

Iowa
im waiting for the government to pull a china on us. requiring every citizen to have and carry with them a passport.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sweet pea, if you don't want to be "degraded", all you have to do is stop posting when you don't have a clue what you're talking about. If it weren't for the fear that some unknowing poster might make the mistake of actually taking your advice and doing harm to themselves in the process, most of the senior members would be happy to leave you to "degrade" yourself. You do quite a good job of it, you know; I'd be embarrassed to publically display my ignorance the way you do.

justalayman

Iknowwherewaldo;2735453]

And no, the gov't does not have the right to feel us up because we want to travel on a plane
. I'll tell you what; if you will agree to refuse to any search at the checkpoint and argue your case to the SCOTUS, I will buy an airline ticket that will place you in the system.

And I don't need SCOTUS to tell me this; just like I did not need SCOTUS to tell me that I have the right to keep and bear arms.
Don't know where you are going with this. They ruled the DC law restricting ownership unconstitutional.

I have traveled recently via air & told the TSA that they are not allowed to touch my private parts as condition of travel. I boarded my flight w/o an intrusive pat down ... why? because I/we can
you can tell them whatever you want but if you refuse, you can and most likely will be arrested. and boarding the plane without an intrusive patdown; I suspect there are some people even the TSA refuses to touch.

justalayman

Iowa

Whats the difference ?
you don't have to buy a part B insurance coverage. There is no requirement you sign up for Medicare at all. If you want to avail yourself of the benefits of Medicare you have to follow the rules and there is where you will be required to purchase a part B plan.

That is very different from a law that requires everybody to purchase insurance regardless of any enrollment in any particular program.

racer72

im waiting for the government to pull a china on us. requiring every citizen to have and carry with them a passport.
During my travels in China a few years ago, I never saw or heard of such a thing. In fact, it is very difficult, bordering on impossible for the citizens of China to obtain passports, only a limited number are allowed each year. Also, in my 9 days there, I never saw a police officer or an army person approach anyone and ask for ID. I would suggest another source for your propaganda before making a fool of yourself.

mistoffolees

I'm not aware of any decision that forced purchase of health insurance is unconstitutional. Massachusetts is doing it.
Actually, there was just a case last week in a Federal Court (Florida, I think) that said that the new health care law was unconstitutional for just that reason.

Of course, there have been several cases where it was found to be constitutional - so it will have to go to the Supreme Court eventually.

My personal view is that it's perfectly reasonable - I'm tired of paying for people who are too cheap to have insurance.

actually there is current movement on a national ID card again. It might be sooner than most people think where it is required.
I wouldn't have any objection. Too many illegals voting and using government benefits.

xylene

Forced?

Id the government forcing me to marry because the IRS chooses to tax married less...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">