• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how lawyers interact with auto insurance companies in cases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KingDavidLives

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

When someone has an at-fault accident, do most lawyers do something so that he/she will be able to contact a client's insurance company to get whatever information they need so that they will not have to contact their client to get the information?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

When someone has an at-fault accident, do most lawyers do something so that he/she will be able to contact a client's insurance company to get whatever information they need so that they will not have to contact their client to get the information?
Huh ?

Mass_Shyster

The attorney simply contacts the insurance company and tells them that he or she represents John Doe, and needs xyz information.

Zigner

The attorney simply contacts the insurance company and tells them that he or she represents John Doe, and needs xyz information.
If the other party is not actually "represented", then the attorney can also contact the other party directly.

I'd really like to see a bit more info from the OP.

KingDavidLives

are lawyers rqd to get the ins co info?

Thank you everyone for your answers.

I know someone who has an attorney that did not contact the insurance company, but, instead allegedly mailed a letter to the client asking for the client to contact their insurance company and obtain a letter from the insurance company stating that the co. is working with the victim. This letter was requested after the case had been dismissed.

The client did not receive the letter.

One month later, the client received a notice in the mail that there was a warrant issued for arrest. The client called the lawyer and turned herself in. The lawyer says that a new case has been filed and one of the reasons is because the prosecuting attorney did not receive a letter from the ins. co.

My question:

Was this lawyer required to get the records himself and handle the situation to make sure something like this did not occur? I.E., was this lawyer negligent and can be disciplined somehow for not doing what everyone is saying that most lawyers do?

Zigner

Thank you everyone for your answers.

I know someone who has an attorney that did not contact the insurance company, but, instead allegedly mailed a letter to the client asking for the client to contact their insurance company and obtain a letter from the insurance company stating that the co. is working with the victim. This letter was requested after the case had been dismissed.

The client did not receive the letter.

One month later, the client received a notice in the mail that there was a warrant issued for arrest. The client called the lawyer and turned herself in. The lawyer says that a new case has been filed and one of the reasons is because the prosecuting attorney did not receive a letter from the ins. co.

My question:

Was this lawyer required to get the records himself and handle the situation to make sure something like this did not occur? I.E., was this lawyer negligent and can be disciplined somehow for not doing what everyone is saying that most lawyers do?
Your story doesn't make sense. No arrest warrant would EVER be issued based solely on what you've posted.

Why don't you post the FULL facts?

KingDavidLives

are lawyers rqd to get the ins co info?

I know it sounds strange, but, this is what happened.

In re-reading, the things I left out were that
-the charge was for a hit-and-run,
-and the prosecuting attorney could not get good cooperation from the victim and when the victim did not show up for court, the judge dismissed the first case.

Allegedly, behind the scenes, after that case was dismissed, the prosecuting attorney asked for a letter from the defendant's attorney showing that the defendant's ins. co. was in talks with the victim to handle his medical bills, etc.

They didn't get that letter.

One month later: Warrant for Arrest shows up in the mail. That's when we learn a new case was filed.

Zigner

Yes, the fact that you are talking about a CRIMINAL CASE makes a big difference. You need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">