• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Klmnati

Hello I recievd a phone call from a detective stating that my vehicle was involved in a hit and run. That my car hit a car into another car and drove away. She says the next day my car was followed to my house and they identified my 24 yr old son. My son stated that he was not involved in any accidents and my car has no sign of damage. She stated that they would have a line up and if hes pickd could face jail time. She offerd if he pled guilty she would only charge him with reckless driving ticket. My question is should he persue the case of innocense or should he take the deal? happend in aurora colorado please all advice appreciated greatly! Thnks for reading! Please advise he must meet her on 1/25/2011

Dave1952

If the police are talking jail time then your son would be wise to speak with a lawyer. The lawyer will advise him on the statements that should be given to the police.

swalsh411

That doesn't add up. They followed your car the next day?

Neither you nor your son should make any statements whatsoever to the police. Unless arrested (which is doubtful unless there is something you are not telling us) he is not required to meet with her ever.

Klmnati

Yea I dont understand either. Apparently the next day after the wreck he spotted the car and followed it to our home. As much as I wanna believe my son wasn't involved he could have been but there is no damage to my vehicle. The detective stated she could issue a warrant and tow the vehicle if he did not agree to meet.

justalayman

The detective stated she could issue a warrant and tow the vehicle if he did not agree to meet.
Most likely yes. That does not mean you throw away your (or your son's actually) rights. A hit and run can be a serious matter. He should speak with an attorney before speaking to the police.

swalsh411

She's bluffing. If she had enough evidence to have a warrant issued for your son's arrest they wouldn't be asking to talk to him.

edit: They want him to admit to a crime.

Last edited:

Klmnati

I did discuss with my son that if he did it we need to admit it in order to prevent any further issues but he is demanding he is innocent.

swalsh411

I did discuss with my son that if he did it we need to admit it in order to prevent any further issues but he is demanding he is innocent.
He doesn't "need" to admit to anything even if he did do it. Do not talk to the police. I can't make this any clearer.

justalayman

It is so nice that they could magically recognize your undamaged vehicle out of millions on the road...The Next Day.
as an example of how it can happen.

this happened somewhere near the OP's home and the people involved also lived somewhere near and often travel the same path. Op's car is recognizable for some unique reason. Injured party saw the unique identifier and followed the car.

that unique identifier could be a model and a "baby on board" in the left rear window.

There is also a claim of being able to identify the driver as well.

Mass_Shyster

Hello I recievd a phone call from a detective stating that my vehicle was involved in a hit and run. That my car hit a car into another car and drove away. She says the next day my car was followed to my house and they identified my 24 yr old son. My son stated that he was not involved in any accidents and my car has no sign of damage. She stated that they would have a line up and if hes pickd could face jail time. She offerd if he pled guilty she would only charge him with reckless driving ticket. My question is should he persue the case of innocense or should he take the deal? happend in aurora colorado please all advice appreciated greatly! Thnks for reading! Please advise he must meet her on 1/25/2011
Go to youtube and watch the video "Never Talk to the Police"

YouTube - Dont Talk to Police

Do this before 1/25. I suggest contacting an attorney on 1/24 (Monday Morning)

CdwJava

you may wish to file a notice of trespass with the town clerk to insure that the cop does not further harass you (you can tell them to stay off your property).
I suspect that would be met with a wee bit of humor and a shrug.

If the police are attempting contact in the course of their employment as officers they are not, by definition, trespassing.

The suspect may simply decline to speak with the police and hope they haven't enough to file on him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">