• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trouble with Neighboring Cigar Shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wasddat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I recently took over management for a store that happens to neighbor a Cigar Shop. The concern that I have is that the Cigar Shop has very poor ventilation, so much to the point that on occasion, you can visibly see the second-hand smoke floating around in my store. The smoke is so heavy, it seeps into my hair, clothing, and even my store products.

There is not a moment that my store does not suffer from the scent and fumes from the Cigar Shop next door. The amount of second-hand smoke that drags into my store is so prominent that it causes my lips to shrivel and chap due to the lack of fresh air and moisture in the store.

I get multiple complaints daily from customers, and the effects of the smoke is affecting not only my business, but also my personal health.

I am asthmatic, and I have not needed to use my inhaler for seven years, up until now. I suffer from a heavy cough, and I feel terrible at work, after work, and especially when I wake up in the morning after a poor night's rest.

I have regular coughing fits at the store which make it impossible for me to even communicate with my customers, and my nose is constantly running from the lack of breathable air.

I have tried to get in contact with the landlord, who seems to be avoiding the issue at all costs. What steps can I take into improving my condition, and finding justice in my situation?

Thanks.

Dave1952

Next time you pay the rent include a note about this problem with the check. Then see what the landlord does. How long is your lease and how good is this location? It may be necessary to move.

Good luck

You Are Guilty

This is a textbook example of a legal "nuisance". From a quick look, GA law is pretty good for the "nuisanc-ee". (See, e.g., http://www.butlerwooten.com/CM/Articles/nuisance-land%20development.pdf ). Speak to a local lawyer for some realistic options.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">