• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless driving ticket on icey roads

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trithumb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hi I live in southern New Jersey. The other day I just left my house to head to work. I was doing 30 MPH due to the fact that the previous night had several hours of freezing rain. I was driving and my rear end started to slide on a patch of ice. I started to slide off the road into the woods striking two trees, totaling my car. I proceeded to do what I thought was right by calling the police. When the trooper arrived he wrote me a ticket for careless driving. As if it wasn't enough that I had just ruined my car.

In the past I had 2 tickets that were reduced in court to "unsafe driving" which dropped it to a no point violation. I was told after two uses of this tactic (for lack of a better word) the use of this would give me 4 points on my license. My court date is Feb 1st 2011. I will probably reschedule it if i can not get any direction on how to handle this. Is there any way I can avoid getting these points on my license? Should I hire a traffic lawyer to accompany me to the court? Or should I just eat it and pay the ticket and the higher insurance.

Thanks Matt

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">