• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I fight this case. I'm really worried now.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dnguyen4

Can you guys give me some advice who have been in a similar situation.
Please give me advice on what I should do. I just got in a car accident. I was just leaving my brother house, and about to enter the feeder. It was only one lane, but a big one. I stop at the stop sign first, then this 18 wheeler pull up next to me. I figure he saw me, but he still turn anyways. He took a really deep turn, and his side hit my side. My front fender is dented, and my front bumper fell off. I had a witness to. THis is the first time I been pull over, and got in a car accident. I'm 26 years old, and have been driving for 7 years. However, I lost my driver license, but had an identification card. After 30 minutes inside his car, he went out and told me I was lying about everything because I lied stuttering and lying about my driver license. I do have a driver license, but somehow he couldn't find it in the database. I just lost it a couple of days ago, and I couldn't find it.

He didn't believe the eyewitness. I had another witness which was behind me, but he drove off. I was stuttering when he ask me about my driver license. I told him I think I lost it. THen he kept asking and I didn't know how to answer him.

Well one of my brother friend is a state trooper. My brother called him and told him to look up my name and date of birth on the ID that I gave the cop. My brother friend was able to pull up my driver license number right away. I don't know how this cop couldnt pull up my info in his database.

I already called the eyewitness, and he said he is able to be an eyewitness if we decide to take it to court.

Basically he didn't believe anything I said. He told me I was making that **** up based on the driver license. The witness even stayed back to give a statement on what happen. I don't think its right for him to not believe what I'm saying as well as the witness base on the driver license.

justalayman

was this in the US somewhere? If so, what state? (and it was asked before. you deleted it for some reason)

and what tickets were issued?

Last edited:

dnguyen4

I don't think its me. I just register today and made this thread. I didn't delete anything. Yes it was in the US. It happen in Houston, Tx. What do you mean what kind of ticket was issued. THis is the first time I even got a ticket. Sorry can you please explain to me.

justalayman

what did you get a ticket for? What was the law you are charged with violating?

and yes, you most likely deleted this What state? (US law only)

when you first posted.

dnguyen4

I don't know how I could delete it since this is the first time I ever been on the forum. Maybe I did, but I'm sure I didn't do anything.
Well he check no driver license and failure to maintain single lane. However, the witness was even there to give the statement to the police officer. Its just not right basing on the fact that I was stuttering and lost my driver license, and make an inference that I made the whole thing up.

justalayman

Ok, if you do have valid drivers licence, take it with you to the court. I haven't checked but many states waive such a ticket with proof of a license (and no, your friend, the cop, nor anybody else is acceptable proof).

to the failure to maintain lane; not sure what to say to that. It's difficult to understand the situation well enough to say much.

dnguyen4

Yes thats what the lady told me. She said as long as its still valid. It doesn't matter if I renewal it, because the officer stated that I have no driver license in the system but I actually did.

Indiana Filer

Yes thats what the lady told me. She said as long as its still valid. It doesn't matter if I renewal it, because the officer stated that I have no driver license in the system but I actually did.
I'm guessing you are an immigrant to the US (Vietnamese?), and I would suggest you seek out someone to help you when you go to Court for this so you can understand the proceedings.

Dave1952

You have 2 problems, you can not find your driver's license and you have been in an auto accident.
Notify your insurance agent immediately. Ask for his help and advice. Notify the other driver's insurance company that you will be filing a claim. Write down your recollection of the accident so that you do not forget anything.
Go to the local driver's license office and get a new license.
You seem to be troubled that the investigating police officer could not find you in the system when he tried to confirm your license. This is probably due to an error and should not concern you. You can easily get the necessary evidence to answer the citation before your court date.
If you do tend to stutter and get flustered in public you may wish to use an attorney for the citation.

Good luck

dnguyen4

Thank you Dave! Yeah I tend to stutter when talking to an authoritative figure. He kept on asking me how I lost it. I was freaking scare to even answer him. How I'm going to answer him how I lost it. He couldnt even pull my info up with a valid license number. I already went to get a renewal of my license the next day after the incident. THe lady at the impound advise me to wait after a week and get the police report. After that bring it to the court and plead not guilty on the driver license. She told me to bring a copy of my renewal driver license since its still valid. She also said that police officer should of know people get scared at an accident, and had no right to harass me asking how I lost the drive rlicense. Her son is a cop, so that is what she advise me to do.
She said for the failure to maintain a single lane violation; I have to bring in the witness or he have to write a written statement.
I do want to hire an attorney, but I don't know how much they cost. I'm a college student still owing $7000 in school loans. I don't know how I'm going to pay for the ticket. Now with no car, waiting for inspection.

justalayman

you need to be cautious with your terminology.

I already went to get a renewal of my license
a renewal means you did not have a valid license at the time. If you lost your license, you would simply be getting a duplicate.

dnguyen4

One more question please. Should I notify the other insurance company eventhough the cop said it was my fault. I was surprised that he came out and told me I was making everything up base on how I answer where was my driver license. I don't think that is fair at all. I did get a renewal of my license at the DPS office. They told me it was still valid. They only gave me the paperwork though, not the actual card. Could I take that copy and present it to the judge.

dnguyen4

Well I told them I lost it. They just took a new picture. They said my driver license was still valid though.

you need to be cautious with your terminology.

a renewal means you did not have a valid license at the time. If you lost your license, you would simply be getting a duplicate.

I was freaking scare to even answer him.... She also said that police officer should of know people get scared at an accident, .
You don't have to answer him further ; you already told him you had no license on you. He can ask you anything he wants. And no one can make you scared; only you can make yourself scared. Just tell the cop you no longer wish to answer his questions.

So you have a car accident which your insurance will handle & a ticket which you will handle (in court or just by paying the fine).

I would suggest you just go to court & show the judge your license & say that you may have been confused after the accident.

College student w 7K in loans? Does not move me at all ... I took no loans out when I went to college, I worked & went to school (OMG!). Its your choice to put yourself in debt. It will not impress a judge either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">