• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case in my car accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMLaddis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I was involved in an out of state rear end car accident where liability was
determined of the other driver, and resulted in me being in the other state (not
my home state) for a month as I had no way to be transported back to my home state. The total for medical expenses resulted in $14,000.00 and while the insurance company is going to pay the medical expenses directly to the medical providers, they are only offering me $400.00 for my discomfort and that figure is primarily based on the impact when the damages for my car were $500.00 and
that's only $100 lower than that amount. I know that I deserve more than that amount. It seems very unfair. Is it wise for me to get an attorney on the case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Labtec600

Or you will end up with just 60% of $400.

Curious, is that $14,000 hospital bills or an ER visit and a bunch of Chrio?

Labtec600

Why do you insist that conclusion of my case?
If you have an ER visit and three months of Chrio, I can understand why the insurance company is giving you a small amount based off the damages. They may go a little higher but you're not going to be rich and lawyer may not get you much more money.

JMLaddis

I apologize, didn't mean to ignore your second inquiry. The $14,000 accrued from hospital bills (tests, scans, hospital stay, ER visit, and treatments at the hospital).

Is it possible that you could explain a hypothetical in-depth reason as to why the offer is so low? I don't expect to become rich but I do want a fair judgement. Initially I entered the claim with a fair mentality for all parties involved including myself which is why I made the decision to leave a lawyer out of this, as I figured the insurance adjuster would be fair (ignorance on my part now I assume).

Labtec600

I apologize, didn't mean to ignore your second inquiry. The $14,000 accrued from hospital bills (tests, scans, hospital stay, ER visit, and treatments at the hospital).

Is it possible that you could explain a hypothetical in-depth reason as to why the offer is so low? I don't expect to become rich but I do want a fair judgement. Initially I entered the claim with a fair mentality for all parties involved including myself which is why I made the decision to leave a lawyer out of this, as I figured the insurance adjuster would be fair (ignorance on my part now I assume).
Appears they are contending that treatment is excessive based on the damages but they should be looking more into it.

I do believe actual hospital bills from tests, scans, being the hospital, etc. on the recommendation of the doctor to be more credible then say, three months of getting your necked rubbed at the chiro.

But higher med bills does not always mean that the settlement should be higher also.

How old are you?

JMLaddis

What's a tad outlandish to me is that they're going solely off of my car damages and not the treatments/procedures I had to endure. The hospital bills are the result OF the car damages...Also I'm 23.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">