• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i dump my attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bonjovi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? sc

i have an attorney who is representing me on two auto accident claims. my treatment has completed in relation to the first accident. i dropped all of my documentation off during the first week of december. i've been calling since that time and for about 3 weeks in december nobody even answered the phone. I left several voicemails and no one ever called me back. So far in january i have called and left 3 messages with his secretary and she says that she will give him the message. I still haven't gotten a call back.

Is it too late for me to drop him and to find another attorney? if not, how do i go about it? i did sign a retainer agreement when i secured his "services".

i'm feeling a sense of urgency b/c i need the money from the first settlement to pay for back surgery needed as a result of the 2nd accident. the back issues are constant and i would love to get the surgery done and hopefully improve my quality of life.

thanks for reading.

ecmst12

Of course, dropping your lawyer and starting all over with a brand new one won't get you money any faster. Lawyers do everything slowly. It is not to anyone's advantage to rush to settlement.

OHRoadwarrior

Not knowing the particulars of your situation, I will make this comment.

If your treatment from the first accident exceeded the limits of the person who hit you's policy...

You may be responsible for subragation of the money both you and your lawyer receive in settlement. You might actually end up owing your attorney fees to another insurance company, out of pocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">