• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step son in a accident and I am being sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daytimer69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My step-son was driving my vehicle and he pulled out in front of someone and did under $1000 worth of damages. This happened 5 months ago and we are now just getting a letter that the people in the vehicle he hit is suing us. The letter was sent to HIM but it is our insurance. He does NOT live with us and was home from college.

Will I be the one being sued or would it be HIM? I have $100,000/$300,000 coverage for liability.

What is the statue of limitations to sue someone?

Should HE or I hire an attorney?

Thank you

justalayman

a suit would likely include both him, since he was operating the vehicle, and you, due to your ownership of the vehicle.

statute of limitations: I believe it is 2 years for both personal injury and property damage.

Last edited:

daytimer69

Thank you for your help! I was just told one of the people in the vehicle has closed his case and my insurance has paid all his bills. The other passenger has had rotators cuff surgery and we are waiting upon him to finish up with his medical bills. I find it hard to believe someone tore a rotator cuff with a minor vendor bender. I know they are milking it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">