• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm injured on a city bus. Now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello everyone. I was riding on an MTA bus. When I asked the driver if he stops at a particular location, the genius slams on his brakes and sends me carooning through the bus nearly out the windshield.

I reported to him immediately I am injured. He stops the bus. Everyone gets off but me. The police come, the ambulance comes and takes me to the nearest hospital.

I have suffered abrasions and permanent scarring to both my hands. I've recently had major surgery. It's no scarring on that level, but I don't know why I have to suffer permanent scars due to this city bus driver's malicious intent. No sutures, just abrasions.

So I went for the deposition, went for an "independent" medical exam (where I think the doctor wrote a report in my favor!) other medical exams...

My question is are they going to make me an offer to dispose of this matter, and how much? If they offer $10,000.00 I'm going to ask for 25. Do I call them now or do I have to wait for them to call me? The independent medical exam was last week. What you think is going to be the outcome of this case?

Thank you for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You mean...you willing stood up during the operation of the vehicle and, when the driver had to stop suddenly, you were thrown forward...right?

WHY did the driver have to hit the brakes as he did?
Where, EXACTLY were you standing?

This is terrible. I have a choice to stand or sit on a bus. I was standing not too far behind the driver. As he was making a turn, I asked him something. It was at that point he must've heard the question one too many times from all his passengers over the years on the route. It was at this time he maliciously slammed on the brakes, bringing the 56' bus to a complete stop right in the middle of the intersection. Everyone else was sitting on the bus I think, except for me.

I think you're missing the point, Zigner. I appreciate your reply, but the point is I've gone through major surgery recently and I have enough permanent scars from that to last me a lifetime. I'm not the scarboy.

What I'm asking is, what is the settlement offer going to be, or what ballpark will it be in? I have not contacted any attorney in this matter because I figure it's pretty clearcut.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What I'm asking is, what is the settlement offer going to be, or what ballpark will it be in? I have not contacted any attorney in this matter because I figure it's pretty clearcut.
And, again, how the heck would we know?

Okay, my guess is that they're going to offer you $4,984.36.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Not accepted. Put a 2 in front of that and it's accepted. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your colleague.
Alright, my counter-offer is $4,984.36 plus medical expenses, plus free bus passes for five years.

And thanks, but not my colleague. My sig is just a continually updated list of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.

ecmst12

It doesn't sound like you have nearly the kind of injuries that would justify the kind of money you are asking for, and without a lawyer you have ZERO leverage to negotiate. If you don't like their offer, your only choice will be to hire a lawyer.

I'm a bit confused now. What does (a spotless) posting x have to do with getting injured on a city bus? This used to be a good place to get advice etc. At points it seems to have turned into a bullying board.

Don't they have problems with immature kids bullying each other in Middle schools and High schools? Has it hit here as well?

Mass_Shyster

I found this on a lawyer's website:

In cases against buses operated by the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) the NYCTA must be notified of the claim within 90 days of the accident.
The same website claims the MTA is reluctant to settle out of court.

I wouldn't count on your notification to the driver to preserve your claim. Notify them in writing.

Also, when you were speaking to the driver, were you behind the 'white line'? I'm curious to know if that affects the dispute at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">