• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent - Advice on Complicated Automobile Accident - Who is at Fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dro80

I am located in British Colombia, Canada, but I assume the same traffic rules apply anywhere.

I was turning into my parking garage off of a street with only one lane in either direction. I proceeded to slow down, turned on my blinker light to turn right into the parkade, and then started to turn. A large F350 truck attempted to pass me on the RHS as I turned right and collided with my passenger side door, front fender and ripped off my bumper.

I was not close to the curb before making the turn as I have to make a wide turn to properly align my car with the key-fob door opener which is located on the far wall while entering. I assume that this is why he attempted to pass me on the RHS. In BC it is legal to pass a car on the RHS if the vehicle has either 1) indicated using a signal that they are turning left or 2) is actually turning left. I was doing neither.

I am pretty sure he will be at least 50% at fault. My question is, will any fault be assigned to me? Or will this be 100% his fault?

Thanks for the help! Quick responses would be very helpful on this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am located in British Colombia, Canada, but I assume the same traffic rules apply anywhere.

I was turning into my parking garage off of a street with only one lane in either direction. I proceeded to slow down, turned on my blinker light to turn right into the parkade, and then started to turn. A large F350 truck attempted to pass me on the RHS as I turned right and collided with my passenger side door, front fender and ripped off my bumper.

I was not close to the curb before making the turn as I have to make a wide turn to properly align my car with the key-fob door opener which is located on the far wall while entering. I assume that this is why he attempted to pass me on the RHS. In BC it is legal to pass a car on the RHS if the vehicle has either 1) indicated using a signal that they are turning left or 2) is actually turning left. I was doing neither.

I am pretty sure he will be at least 50% at fault. My question is, will any fault be assigned to me? Or will this be 100% his fault?

Thanks for the help! Quick responses would be very helpful on this.
You know what they say about ASSuming!

US Law Only!

Dro80

So even if I was in the US, the answer to this question would depend on what state I was in?

Dro80

Well the driver told me he "ASSumed" I was turning left when trying to pass me on the RHS, which is why my car is destroyed right now. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">