• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wages and Hours When Exempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LittleTornado

Hi,

Can anyone answer a few questions for me concerning wages, hours, and compensation in Maryland? I am an exempt employee at a bank -- Assistant Branch Manager. I have been with a new company for just 3 months now. I recently had to take off half a week due to my son being hospitalized. I only managed to work 19 hours that week. I typically am scheduled overtime and work anywhere from 45 to 50 hours a week with no overtime pay because I am exempt. However, when I received my paycheck for the week of my son's illness, I was not paid a full paycheck. I was docked to compensate for the hours that I had missed. After returning to work, I have worked 51 hours one week and 55 hours ( 6 days ) the next week. My actual hire date was 1/8/2001 and I was supposed to start accruing sick, vacation, and personal time after 3 months. However, the actual date that they began accruing it was the pay period following my 3 month anniversary. This happened to be the pay period after the absence from work, so I was not able to use any towards the day I had to take off. Is all of this legal and kosher? Or am I supposed to be paid 40 hours per week regardless of what I worked due to being exempt? And, what about the extra hours that I work on a regular basis without being paid?

Thank You

B

buddy2bear

You are supposed to receive the same amount each week or bi-weekly, depending on how paid, without deductions other than taxes and agreed to deductions, such as union dues, no matter how many hours you work.

I suggest you call Maryland's wage & hour division and let them take it from there. The employer will have 30 days to answer the complaint that W&H will send them. If W&H doesn't think their answer has merit, they will refer it to the Attorney General's office for prosecution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">