• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired When Out On Workmans Comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Truecowgrl

i live in orlando and was working for orange county govt when i got hurt at work. The work comp insurance took their time in scheduling a surgery that was ordered by thier dr. I was called into a meeting with the head of the dept and asked when i would be able to return to work. I told them i would be able to come back to work 4-6 weeks after the surgery. I was pressed to give a date or approx date. I told then that the surgery was ordered back in nov and it was in Jan and they still had not authorised it to be done.To get a more acurate date they need to check with the insurance comp to see when they were going to authorise it to be done. I recieved a letter in the mail telling me that i have been "medically seperated due to my inability to provide them with a date that i would be able to return to work". I have lost all medical benefits (other then that pertaining to the accident), I had disability insirance i was paying for but they cancelled it without giving me the chance to pay for it when i was "medically seperated" is this legal? PLease someone let me know

I

injured back

nah it aint legal, hire a workmans comp attorney, have you had a doctor and phys. therapy thruought this? have you been cleard to go back to work? if not you need to report to workmans comp that they terminated your employement. you should also file a report with the dept of labor or the human rights commision for your state. check w/ an attorney first. good luck

E

E. Hardy

First an Employer can terminate an employee of Work Comp if it is for cause... ( things other than comp)

I am not sure that they so much as terminated you but had to rehire someone else to fill the position. Loss of benifits is going to happen and it is unfortunate even with that you still might be able to hold onto your benfits through COBRA . COBRA is not cheap but it is a way to keep the benifits til you start work again....

As far as telling your employer to call the carrier for your surgery date and to find out why it was not scheduled.. that is your job... And it is inappropraite for the carrier not to have addressed this in a more timely manner.... Would get legal counsel ... Attorney will help in pushing the carrier to a decision...

Good luck Liz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">