• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mold In A Rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LanEdw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My parents have lived in a rental now for like 27 years. About 4 -5 years ago the roof started to leak. They complained to the landlord to fix the issuse but he did not take care it. Last year out of the blue a crew shows up to repair the roof. At the time of the repair, lots of mold was noticed in the attic area. My parents had a Mold Test done and found out that there was mold / moisture up to 3 foot up the inside of the walls in a few spots in the house. What would be their options to fighting this landlord for damages, and the possable health issues my mother has.

To top it all off, the so called "owner" of the property, purchused it back in 1968. But going to the county records, his name is not on the title / deed thing. He also has another property that is the same way. He is not on that title as well?

It all sound really fishie go me, I have little $ to spend on a lawyer, and any advice or ideas would be great. Thanks You.

Dave1952

Has anyone suggested that your mother's health problems might be mold related? Has anyone demonstrated that the mold found by your tests is a mold that your mother reacts to? Has anyone told the landlord about the mold problem?
I'm puzzled that the landlord did not investigate for mold near this leak site. Of course he may be cheap.
I don't see any relevance to your title searches. What are you looking for?

Good luck

las365

You should keep your questions in your first thread. The one where you made it sound as if you were the tenant and also said there has already been an eviction.

Searchertwin

You posted in the LL site.
I knew this was about the mold and money, not your personal belongings like you stated in other thread.

But your story is a lot different here.

Living like that for four years is your problem not the LL. If you did not follow through with reg letters of complaints to the LL on repairing problem, than it is your fault, not the LL. So this is not a slum LL as you stated.
If you had done a proper mold testing, you should have saved your money, those kits you buy are worthless. A professional one would run a few thousand. But it is your money.

And I will tell you here again that you will lose on the mold issue. All renters try and play the "mold" card.

Here a little tidbit for you:

As to health issues...you need to prove that 1. this mold is one of the few (out of many hundreds of strains of mold) that may pose a health risk to humans and 2. any symptoms you have are directly linked to this mold.

There are no Federal laws that set limits or standards as to what types or levels of mold exposure or of mold presence is healthy or unhealthy, or as to what levels or types of mold are allowed or not allowed indoors.
And guess what? You breath in mold when you walk outside! Better put a mask on. You will lose.
You need to purchase renter insurance to help with your property, as stated in LL site, it is so easy to blame the LL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">