• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Truck Title Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GSSFcarter

First off, let me say sorry for not knowing what section to list this post in. If I'm wrong, please move it to the appropriate forum.

I'm 23 years old, finishing my last semester of college. I work a family provided job as well as a paid internship for a database facility.

I have bought several cars over the years and have, at my father's prodding, allowed him to put the vehicles in his name so "I can get cheaper insurance rates", (his words) since I can be covered by his insurance policy while in school. My original assumption was that he wanted control of me and my vehicle, but since I am on a college budget I allowed it.

My parent's and I have never had a great relationship, as I live with my demented grandfather and care for him 24/7 when not a school or the database facility. This is my family provided job and would cease to exist should I bring a small claims against them. I would be out of a place to live and only a $9 dollar an hour @15-20hrs a week internship to live on. I currently pay all of my bills, but it's not difficult because I do not pay for rent, power, water, etc.

To the problem, my current truck in under my father's name. My parents and I have differences that we cannot bridge, and want to bar access and not allow me to sell my truck to get a more fuel efficient car, since my internship is 32 miles, one way, from where I"m living right now. My truck averages 18 MPG, which adds up.

I have access to the person who sold me the vehicle, as well as a copy of the check I wrote from my personal bank account to purchase the truck. Do I have a legal option for suing my father for the title of the vehicle, being able to prove who paid for it and the reasons for the vehicle being in his name?

Thanks for the advice.

Kiawah

This is not a hard decision.

Compare the situation you have now, to:
- Expense of renting your own apartments, plus utilities
- Expense of buying your own vehicle, plus repairs
- Expense of buying your own insurance
- Loss of your day sitting income
- Reduction in your annual gas costs (If you assume buying a vehicle that gets 32 mpg, that's 2 gal roundtrip vs. 3.5 gal roundtrip), would save you about 20 bucks a week. Perhaps you can rent an apartment close to work and reduce that even further.
- Further fracturing family relationship

Think this is really a no brainer, however.

Last edited:

CdwJava

In addition to Kiawah's common sense analysis, the answer is, "Yes" you can sue him. However, there is no guarantee that you might prevail, AND it is very likely that you will have to pay for all those things that Kiawah mentions. If you are prepared to truly be on your own, then go for it. But, understand, that win or lose you will be on your own in short order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">