• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto insurance discounting repair due to mileage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harleydave3866

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My parents car was hit in a parking lot and they made a claim to their insurance. They were sent back to the bodyshop 3 times for estimates and now the insurance company wants a picture of the mileage and said they are not going to pay the full estimate because the vehicle has 170k miles. This is the first claim they have ever made on the insurance. I know they can just total the vehicle if the repairs cost too much but can they only pay part of the repairs? Thanks.

justalayman

that would be something controlled by your parents contract/policy. I have never heard such a thing but that doesn't mean it isn't out there somewhere.

ecmst12

It depends on the part being repaired or replaced...if it is a wear item, they will deduct "betterment" for the amount of life you had already used on the item. Exhaust components and tires are big items for this. Also, if there was any pre-existing damage, a deduction could be taken for that as well.

OHRoadwarrior

Michigan has no fault insurance. I am guessing they are appraising the vehicle value based on model year AND mileage. Offering a lessor amount based on estimated value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">