• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do if a cop can smell marijuana?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aguy

ok i'd like some advice for the following situation ( I live in california, and I'm 18 years old)

I was driving home from a rave, where there were people smoking marijuana. I hadn't smoked any, nor did I have any on myself or in my car, yet I smelled like it.

If I got pulled over by a cop, what would happen, and what should I do?

Does the officer have a right to search my car without a warrant? (because of the smell?)

Is it ok to admit that people who I did not know were using marijuana, but that I wasn't, nor did I have any in my car, etc?

I didn't get stopped that night, but I'm just wondering what the officer could do, and how I should respond or react.

Thanks,

calatty

If you get pulled over and the officer smells marijuana, he is entitled to search you and your car, regardless what you say. He won't believe what you say anyway. There is no reason to take that kind of risk for others.

B

bird1

Question: What to do if a cop can smell marijuana?

Answer:A. In the future do not use or have on your person illegal drugs.
B. Do not allow passengers in your vehicle to use or have on their person illegal drugs.

I promise to you if you follow the two answers I gave you, you will never get a drug charge in your vehicle.

[Edited by bird1 on 05-02-2001 at 12:53 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">