• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of Marijuana and MIP of Tobacco and Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jtballer94

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm 16 and has been charged with possession of marijuana and MIP of Tobacco. It began when my friends and I wanted to smoke at lunch during school, so we headed to my house and I had no key to my house. so I had 2 fences on the sides. one on the left and one on the right. I told my friends to go to the right while I go to the left to grab something. and while we were chiefing it at least 20 cops were at my house because someone had called and said we hopped the fence to rob the house and the police thought it was a burglary and all the cops forced in and told all of us to put our hands on our backs and such. My friend listened to what they said and they had dogs with them, and one of the dogs leash broke and bit my friends leg and it was bleeding. We were all handcuffed and put in front of my house and they searched my backpack and everything. I had only about .7g in my backpack and a couple swishers. I have to go to court for this for what? Can I just pay the fine and not go? My parents found out and they don't speak english well and they don't want to go to court because they have bad english. I have a couple questions and they are:

Can my friend who got bit by the dog sue them?

How much will it cost for Possession of Marijuana and MIP Tobacco tickets?

Can I possibly bring a family related cousin who is over 21 to go to court with me instead of having my parents because they don't speak english well?

What should I do when I go to court? I have no clue because this is my first time.

CdwJava

I have to go to court for this for what? Can I just pay the fine and not go?
No. You and your parents will have to appear.

My parents found out and they don't speak english well and they don't want to go to court because they have bad english.
They are not going to have much of a choice.

Can my friend who got bit by the dog sue them?
His parents can hire an attorney and try.

How much will it cost for Possession of Marijuana and MIP Tobacco tickets?
Counting fees and assessments, about $400 and some community service time.

Can I possibly bring a family related cousin who is over 21 to go to court with me instead of having my parents because they don't speak english well?
He can come WITH your parents. You will have to ask the local court whether they will accept someone to step in for your parents, but in my experience that's usually "No."

What should I do when I go to court? I have no clue because this is my first time.
Be polite, contrite, and apologetic. And listen to your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">