• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inspection place scratched my door, liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lamperouge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I just bought a new used car. When I got it this weekend it was in perfect condition. I took it Monday to get it inspected in my state and they said I couldn't pass because the tint was too dark. They said I could pull out back and they would help me remove the tint with a razor. It was around closing when this happened and was dark when they were done. I left with an inspection so i can title my car.

The next day I got in my car and noticed a large deep scratch along the door. It looks bad. I got it retinted today and they told me that they have seen that happen before. The other end of the razor cut the door panel when they were taking it off.

It's a camaro and I spent a lot for it. The piece costs about 350 for a new one and an additional 100 for labor.

If I go back and tell them what they did, are they liable to fix it or help me fix it? Theyre an inspection place, not a full shop.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I just bought a new used car. When I got it this weekend it was in perfect condition. I took it Monday to get it inspected in my state and they said I couldn't pass because the tint was too dark. They said I could pull out back and they would help me remove the tint with a razor. It was around closing when this happened and was dark when they were done. I left with an inspection so i can title my car.

The next day I got in my car and noticed a large deep scratch along the door. It looks bad. I got it retinted today and they told me that they have seen that happen before. The other end of the razor cut the door panel when they were taking it off.

It's a camaro and I spent a lot for it. The piece costs about 350 for a new one and an additional 100 for labor.

If I go back and tell them what they did, are they liable to fix it or help me fix it? Theyre an inspection place, not a full shop.
You would have needed to point out the damage BEFORE you left.

Dave1952

As Mr. Zigner said, you would be in a much stronger position if you had noticed this before you left the shop. You did notice it on Tues., did you call the shop then? From your post it sounds as if you haven't told them. Stop putting this off. Take your car to the shop and let them look at it. Listen to what they say and then decide what to do.

Good luck

Kiawah

How are you going to prove that they did this?

- could have been there prior
- could have been from when the first tint job was put on
- you could have done it, taking it off
- perhaps the inspection station guy did it.

You're going to go back to the inspection station now, and they'll see the new tint job back on. They could also indicate that the guys putting on the new tint damaged it.

Going to be hard to prove that the inspection station did the damage.

I'm assuming you are talking about an interior door trim piece, correct? Planning to take the tint off, and put another back on everytime you get it inspected?

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

If they damaged it, then the answer is Yes, they are liable to fix it. Unfortunately, as has already been pointed out, they may simply deny that they damaged it.

I strongly suggest not going in with an attitude. Ask nicely, and they may help you out. If you go in demanding $450 for the damage, they will likely tell you to pound sand.

xylene

Lemme get this straight..

So you ripped out your illegal tint, you damaged your car in the process, and you want the inspection shop to pay for those damages including the reinstall of the tint...

Lamperouge

Huh? No, I didn't put on illegal tint and rip it off. I bought the car with it on and they said it had to come off. The state where I bought it from didn't have tint laws.

Lamperouge

Im going to try calling today and see what happens.

And no, I don't want them to pay for the new tint, only the scratched piece. Or at least help me pay for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">