• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need Help... Cocaine Possession...No Priors.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PERPLEXY

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida I don't even know if i'm doing this right... but i need help with a question... I was busted with a very small amount of cocaine. I have no previous record at all to speak of. My arraignment is tomorrow so i want to know what i should plea and if i have any chance of getting out of a felony conviction...

swrdmbo

being cagey on here isn't going to get you the help you are seeking.

What does " I have no record to speak of" actually mean?

And I don't think " a very small amount of cocaine" is relevant except that you

won't be charged with intent to sell....you were caught possessing cocaine...I don't think trying to minimize that fact by saying it was a very small amount is going to help you any...most people ( if not everyone) are going to believe that the reason you possessed only a small amount is that the rest of it was already up your nose....or whatever...

PERPLEXY

being cagey on here isn't going to get you the help you are seeking.

What does " I have no record to speak of" actually mean?

And I don't think " a very small amount of cocaine" is relevant except that you

won't be charged with intent to sell....you were caught possessing cocaine...I don't think trying to minimize that fact by saying it was a very small amount is going to help you any...most people ( if not everyone) are going to believe that the reason you possessed only a small amount is that the rest of it was already up your nose....or whatever...
I guess i didn't give quite enough details...It wasn't mine by the way...But it was in my car. I was the only person in my car... No point arguing that it wasn't... Noone is going to believe it. No record to speak of where i come from means no record lol... Nothing.. Not a blip. Yeah that's pretty much it...

PERPLEXY

As far as the amount that was found... which was nothing more than residue... I've always heard that amount means a lot in a case like this. As to your point of they would just think the rest was up my nose... so what... You can't charge someone for being high.. unless they are unruly or they get you with dwi... which they didn't... I just got possession of what amounts to some dust...i dunno we'll see where it goes... i figure i best plead not guilty.

Karlq

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida I don't even know if i'm doing this right... but i need help with a question... I was busted with a very small amount of cocaine. I have no previous record at all to speak of. My arraignment is tomorrow so i want to know what i should plea and if i have any chance of getting out of a felony conviction...
Probably to late for this....I am wondering why you waited to ask these question a day before court. You need a lawyer.

PERPLEXY

Probably to late for this....I am wondering why you waited to ask these question a day before court. You need a lawyer.
It's not too late.... all i did today was plead not guilty... I have time to get a lawyer still... plenty of time... No money though... so that poses a problem... Don't think i'm gonna fare too well with a stupid PD.

Don't think i'm gonna fare too well with a stupid PD.
Most PD's are just overworked, not stupid.

In any event, my understanding is that it is common practice in Florida for a first offense possession of a small amount of cocaine (i.e. personal usage) that the defendant is offered a pretrial diversion program. This would be 9 months of rehab, etc. and upon successful completion of the program the charges would be dropped. You would also be eligible to have your record expunged.

If you go to trial and lose, you could face a combination of 5 years probation, 5 years of jail, and up to $5,000 in fines. You would also have a felony conviction (3rd degree felony) on your record. And, as icing on the cake, DMV would suspend your license for 2 years.

I would strongly suggest you speak with the PD if you cannot afford a private attorney.

dave33

[
QUOTE] My arraignment is tomorrow so i want to know what i should plea and if i have any chance of getting out of a felony conviction...
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]To answer the question, not guilty would be a good way to start. As far as getting it dismissed, you will have to consult with your attorney. There are to many variables.goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">