• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex parte/Prosecution Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjf111

i have just been contacted by the prosecuting attorney's office in cass county which is where i live in missouri. they have just received my police report from december when i filed it against my former boyfriend. they want to prosecute him for assault but they need me to sign the papers so they can take care of this. my question is this... what constitutes assault and what is battery? i'm under the impression that battery is a crime against a woman, child or police officer but if you have resided with the person who causes you harm, that it is only assault. battery would carry a harsher sentence. if i agree to press charges would that be an automatic extension of the ex-parte which is due to expire july 1st. he is planning on coming back into the house when it expires and he cannot guarantee that he will not use force again. we are both on the mortgage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">