• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

imporper stopping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wudlyke2kno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Virginia

I was involved in an accident, we got hit from the rear driver side which totalled my car, i was charged with improper stopping in which I did not come to a stop i did however slowed down taking caution because there was another fresh accident on the side, taking caution and slowing down a little bit due to the fact there were two other cars on the shoulder that did not have its haz. light on and a lane merging into mine. they charged to the other driver with following to close however on the police report they stated I was going 20mph and she was going exactly 55mph. I dont believe I was going that slow. there was a cop on the scene stated she witness the accident that was already there and my accident and could determine the speed of my accident in which i dont see how, not even having his lights or flares out to warn drivers. I feel like I am being punished for taking caution in a situation like this.

FlyingRon

What statute were you charged with? If it was 46.2-888 I'd certainly argue that if you were slowing down because of an accident, this statute in no way applies. I can't think of any other Virginia statute that would fit the description "Improper Stopping."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">